Reaches?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I would have done that for a 5th but more than likely it would have taken a 4th and i feel like we got a comparable prospect in the 4th anyway in hawkins. Hawkns had 9 more catches and 110 more yards than desean jackson and a higher yard per catch. A 2nd team all pac 10 player he was as good as prospect in my opinion as those 2nd rd guys.

Keenan burton was another great value in rd 4. Burton averaged 70 catches a season the last 2 years against sec defenses.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The best value way to have added offense.

Assuming we had gone defense in rd 1(take your pick) this would have been a great way to go in the next 3 rds.

Rd 2 bennett TE

Rd 3 slaton RB

Rd 4 124 Burton WR
    Rd4 126 Hawkins WR

Big time TE who can block and catch and a real red zone threat.

Speed back comparable to johnson. Sorry ad nasueum..:evil:

2 solid WRs who can catch the ball. We get a merling or jackson at DE and we still get the great value in keglar. We also still get a 5th rd pick to maybe draft defense at another position like a corner.

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

that makes too much damn sense Roll.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Just think. We could have traded up in the second and taken Donnie Avery, Jordy Nelson, Jerome Simpson or Eddie Royal. All WRs the "experts" didn't have on the early 2nd round radar who went before Kelly or Sweed. 7 WRS were taken before Kelly and Sweed and 8 were taken before Sweed. If Sweed is so good how come so many WRs were picked ahead of him? I honestly think we got as good of a WR in Hawkins.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Do you have ANY idea why they make guys run a 40 if it doesn't translate exactly to field speed? We've covered this already so no need for me to repeat myself.

Thank goodness you're not a sports agent...you'd lose your guys a lot of money. His agent knows where his bread will be buttered...he's a change of pace/speed back. Once you've blown the doors off the place with an awesome 4o time, why would you give someone something to take away from that? That 40 and his film and the bowl game got him a 1st rnd grade whereas last year he had a 5th rnd grade. If you were him and had moved into the high 2nd or even low first, once you do something spectacular, you don't want anything to mess that up. If his change of direction numbers aren't as elite as his straightline speed, why would you run those? They'd only hurt your stock. And once you ran that 40 on that track...why run it again? Anything slower and people would avg out the times....COSTING YOU MONEY. And lifting isn't that important for a speed back. No one expects them to be super strong but anything less than expected would drop your stock. Again, why risk it? If he lifted the bar 30 times it doesn't help him. If he lifts it 5 times it DOES HURT HIM. Not much to be gained except for YOUR respect and he's not concerned with that.

These are noob questions. You know better!

Gut

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I shutter to think that any of these guys will be productive WRs in the league, Eddie Royal having the best shot. I am willing to bet that MKelly and Sweed have more productive careers. The reason for going after these guys would have been because they are legitimate #1 size type guys, a security blanket type of WR like Plexico to Big Ben and Eli. Plus the fact that VY already had experience and chemistry with Sweed just made too much damn sense, for a comfort level of a struggling young QB.

7. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

And I'm a firm believer we would have picked him. However, what sense does it make to jump 10 places for a guy who went 1 place ahead of us? Also, keep it mind that no one thought the Steelers would take a WR. They already had spent a 1st rounder on a RB, and have Ward and Holmes. We got screwed, but it makes no sense to b**** about it 2 monts later.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I guess you must be smarter than all those GMs and scouts.....

I'm not saying it isn't a possibility that Sweed or Kelly end up out playing some of those guys drafted ahead of them but all these teams knew what Sweed and Kelly brought to the table as far as size, speed, athleticism, route running, hands and so forth and obviously teams were simply not impressed enough to not only pass on Sweed and Kelly but they took all these WRs instead. That tells me the Titans were on the same page and simply were not all that impressed with Sweed and quite possibly never had any intentions of taking him in the 1st round and it might not have been a lock they even wanted him in the 2nd round over who they took. Believe me if any team including the Titans thought Sweed or Kelly were in the same league as Plexio Burris neither guy gets out of the 1st round.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

never said that I was smarter, but every draft analyst in the country said that we needed to take a WR very early to help out VY, and every single one of them were extremely surprised to see the first WRs go off the board, Avery, GNelson? I will eat crow if they turn out to be studs, but they didn't play against top players and have defenses gear up for them.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You know, you always say that, and I don't remember ever reading a poster say they were "smarter" than any GM or professional.

People just give their opinion, ya know here on a football forum (big shocker), and have whatever reasons or justifications they think validate their opinion.

Why do you bother to read this forum or write in it, if you aren't interested in people's opinions and are always just going to respond with, "You think you are smarter than the pro's?"

Some of us talk in a forum to, you know, discuss football.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar