Re-sign Haynesworth NOW

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Vince10, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I would not keep Troupe over Hartsock.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't know jeff we get all over troupe but he isn't playing. They bring him out early against the falcons and try to get him involved in the offense. He responds positively with a couple of catches and good effort YAC and that is it, he disappears and they don't play him. They are in love with hall and feel he is integral to the running game and the few times we did play the double TE sets we used hartsock because he is a good blocker.

I like the 2 TE set because we pass better and nobody can argue that troupe is less a receiving threat than hall or hartsock. I think we are wasting his talent..

3. TitanJeff

Tide, there is no way I sign Troupe to a long-term deal based on what he's given the Titans. Maybe we do something like we did with Chris Brown and go with one year for the vet minimum plus incentives so he has the opportunity to make a bigger payday in '09.

I don't think anyone is the league would want him and I don't think he would be in a Titans uni this year if the team hadn't invested so much in him.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I do agree that Troupe might be back but like Jeff said, a one year deal like Brown and Troupe will only agree to that if he doesn't get any offers from other teams (like Brown). The light might come on with this kid...I just hope it is soon.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We have money! About $9M below the cap counting pacman. Haynesworth already is counting $6.5M against the cap this year because he is at peak salary so his new deal might actually be less of a hit for 08 then this year. We can sign him to a $7.5-8M a year deal and the extra hit on the cap short term won't be that bad..

We will save $3M against the cap by simply releasing givens after the season. Because givens is in only his second year of his contract we would have taken a penalty to release him but next year there is no penalty. That's a pretty hefty contract off the books.

The only real significant change will be stewart who will be wanting an $8M type deal and he is only counting $400K against the cap now. Odom counts $800K now and may want a $4M deal.

We can save some money by cutting olson loose if this new kid harris is ready to play. Harris counts almost nothing against the cap while olson counts $4M.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Troupe,

neither of you responded to my claim that his talent is being wasted.

Troupe got some playing time last week and in a matter of a couple of minutes had 2 catches for over 20 yards. 11 of those yards were yac. Hall isn't part of the pass offense at all and hartsock either. Scaife hasn't done a whole lot this year. If troupe in a couple of minutes is good for a pair of first downs that tells me he can play and be productive.

Who would you rather have next season scaife for $4M a year or troupe for $1.5M? Prior to this season troupe has given us 33 catches for 336 yards a season on average. That's not bad at all and is similar to what dallas clark did last season for indy! That's comparable to what kinney gave us when he was starting. You don't just waste a guy like this.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO we should wait and see what Troupe gives us the rest of the eyar to make a final judgement on his value. I do like the fact it looks like he gives us a little more offensive punch but his play is sparatic and he seems to get injured often. I also doubt Scaife is going to be getting anything close to $4 mil per year on his new deal.

I do think in a more perfect world Troupe should be to us what Dallas Clarke is for Indy. A guy who can line up in the slot and create mismatches and occasionally get deep. We need someone who can stretch the field and if teams are going to continue to play their Ss like LBs a guy like Troupe should be able to make an impact.

8. TitanJeff

How is the team wasting his talent? By not giving him enough opportunity?

Troupe has a history of not adjusting his route properly or simply not being where he is supposed to be. He has to be reliable and consistent in order to get opportunity when you have someone of equal or better production as an option.

Also, Troupe isn't close to the blocker Scaife is. Since he remains a liability there, the team will often play Scaife over Troupe when they are running a balanced offense.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff, how amazing that troupe was able to be a pretty productive guy for us his first 2 years. Is he less a receiving threat now? We can have casey cramer in there at fullback but we can't have troupe at TE?

10. TitanJeff

Yes. He played himself out of the offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar