Breaking News Ray Horton alleges the Titans conducted a sham interview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tricky, Apr 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carp

Carp Starter

Unfortunately, in the NFL (like many businesses) it tends to be who know over what you know.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

We hired someone who at the time amy/jon thought had a great interview.

They went through giving ALL the interviews due to labor laws before offering.

We do that at my work all the time for maintenance and operator bids.

It has nothing to do with race. It is a business model at the end of the day. And companies have every right to be impressed by one particular interview.

3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

As far as I see it, the teams are required to perform the minority interviews. There is nothing expanding on that as far as a requirement. Titans met the requirement.

Now this becomes the exact same scenario as before the rule introduction and a potential candidate feeling they didn’t get an interview due to race which is an EO issue. It was difficult to prove before the mandatory interview process, the requirement to force interviews actually hurts that EO case because they did in fact get an interview and the team met all requirements.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

this is exactly why NFL owners approved

5. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Exactly. Having started a major culture change I am sure they felt that he deserved his shot. That’s the problem with things like the Rooney Rule, trying to create a forced choice is never going to work. In spirit I think everyone agrees something needs to level the playing field, but practically it is a doomed proposition.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

The Lorax (Steve Underwood) made the hire, not AAS and JROB. JROB was hired around the same time and AAS was still deferring to Underwood on how the team was being run.

Underwood wanted Mularkey to replace Jeff Fisher but Budd Adams elevated Mike Munchak instead. Underwood retired shortly after that.

When Tommy Smith stepped down Underwood returned to the Titans to help AAS clean up the mess Tommy left. Underwood was in charge of the coaching search and he hired the guy he wanted all along, Mike Mularkey.

h/t to @GoT on The Lorax

#36 The Hammer, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

That’s a lot, my head hurts

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Rooney 2 rule: mandatory minority hire

9. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I think that’s BS! Just my humble opinion though.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Curious what the approach would be for a “sham” non minority interview.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar