Rating the oilers/titans 1st rd picks...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There are ten first rd picks going back to 1995 in chronological order. What would be your grade for each one? An A+ to me would be a sure fire hall of famer(montana, walter payton etc.) among the absolute greatest of all time at their position so i'm not bashing anyone by giving them a B+.

Rolltide's grading scale:
    A+-Montana-unitas-payton-reggie white-larence taylor-jim brown-elite

A-Aikman-bettis-campbell-jason taylor--2nd level elite

B+-randall cunningham-phil simms-ricky watters-isaac bruce--near HOF..

You get the idea..

95-Mcnair--B+

96-Eddie--B+

97-K holmes--C

98-K dyson--D+

99-kearse--B+

2000-k bulluck--B+

2002- haynesworth--B

2003-woolfolk--D

2005-pacman--D

2006-v young--TBD...future A+...

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Pacman is a bit premature.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Yup. I think the rest are very fair except Pacman. I think both Woolfolk and Haynesworth can change slightly.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

A+-Montana-unitas-payton-reggie white-larence taylor-jim brown-elite
    yeah, let's lump Vince in there while we are at it.
    [​IMG]

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

So we won't be getting a job at IBM.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

what is that gpa there? :hmm:
    don't look good, does it?

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it looks a little like mine this past year, about a 2.5:suspect:

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Titans GPA.....the methodology was wrong

My approach was all wrong. I didn't take into account the players that were realistically available when we drafted those guys. The fact that steve mcnair is not john elway doesn't make him less of a draft pick because elway wasn't there to be drafted. Had kerry collins had an elway like career we could say that. Obviously not true.

Take 1995. We had three choices; a QB, mcnair or collins or kevin carter. That was it. Of those three choices mcnair was the best. Had we not drafted steve then we would have had to use a future draft to get a QB and nothing was available in the first or second rd in the next 2 drafts unless you think jim drunkenmiller or tony banks would have been worthy. Therefore the mcnair pick was an A+.

The 96 draft is more an issue. We made a great pick with eddie and you can't knock it since there was no walter payton available instead. The rams had already taken lawrence phillips off the board so we didn't have that temptation but there was a future hall of fame WR available to give to our young QB. Marvin harrison. At a time when eddie's prime ended(after the 2000 season) harrison was just getting wamed up.
    How different our team might have been with harrison at WR. As valuable as eddie was to the team remember the main reason we didn't win a super bowl in 99 or 2000 was because our offense was too one dimensional and because we didn't have a good WR corp.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That really complicates things, RT. Are you planning on going through the rest of the picks?

10. i think that bullock should be A+ heseasily in the top 3 linebackers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar