Ranked Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Football Outsiders: Ranking the staffs 1-16
    Mike Tanier
    URL: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7071478

12. Titans (Last Year: 15)

Sure, the 2004 and 2005 seasons were ugly. Jeff Fisher shepherded the Titans through a salary purge so severe that it swallowed nearly every recognizable name on the roster. Last year, he guided a hotshot rookie quarterback, an ultra-talented headcase cornerback and a more-hungry-than-gifted lineup to an 8-8 record, saving his job in the process.

After 13 years and 105 victories with the Titans franchise, Fisher has become a master delegator who lets his assistants develop their own schemes. Those assistants are very good. Offensive coordinator Norm Chow got Vince Young ready to play and installed a rollout-and-run scheme that matched his quarterback's strengths. Chow's system is versatile enough to expand as Young grows. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwarz has spent several years making chicken soup from chicken scratch on defense. He likes to blitz, but he won't ask defenders to do what they're incapable of.

Note - i keep hearin that about Schwarz....people on this forum keep bashing him...while analysts keep praising him....i really dont see what they all see in him.

2. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Well I am no fan either. The defense was better last year because he had players that learned how to play from other coaches. Chris Hope, David Thornton, KVB. Most of the defensive players that we have drafted since he was coach have not panned out (except Pacman, who does his own thing). I wonder why that is. This year we have acquired Harper, the CB from Seattle, a safety and LB during the offseason and maybe Simeon Rice. So we will have defense full of people who learned who to play the game from another coach. That was my biggest knock on Schwartz. He didn't have the best talent and i didn't expect a number one rated defense. However, if the other team is constantly running through you, I would expect that you can atleast make a tackle. Forget being outran because the other team is faster and more athletic. They would run right over us. There was no excuse for that.

My contention all along was that a good coach starts with technique. That is what makes a coach like Belicheck successful. You best believe that every defensive player on his roster tackles. So when he losses a cornerback in the AFC championship game you can't tell because the next comes in and does his job. We don't get that from Schwartz and we never will. Our defense will be better this year and we can thank the coaches at Arizona (KVB), Tampa Bay (Rice, hopefully), Indy (Harper, Thornton), Pittsburgh (Hope), Seattle (Herndon) and Dallas (Fowler).

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

The analysts high opinions of Scwartz is a lot like we saw with Kevin Gilbride in the early 90's. Sports writers loved him.

He was billed as an offensive guru & on that reputation he was able to screw up a number of teams before getting the chance to blow it as a head coach. He's never out of work despite an almost perfect losing record every where he's been goes.

4. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Because most fans get too emotional and are far too impatient with the teams that they cheer for. And, because of that, they will jump all over a player or coach no matter what the circumstance may be if it doesn't go their way.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I rank our staff around 23rd or so. 13th if we boot schwartz.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Good God-this cat must live in the clouds if 32nd out of 32 is chicken soup.

:yes:

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I thought the 'he likes to blitz' part was funniest. He likes to blitz...2 times a game. If it works he'll only blitz once the next game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar