Raiders @ Titans Postgame Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think Roydell thought that pass to him in the endzone was a floater. Young threaded a needle.

I watched the game again last night. Young is all about inconsistency. He makes a couple of nice passes only to miss badly. I did think he was more decisive running the ball but either couldn't make someone miss or the quad appeared to be a factor after the Sapp hit.

It's hard to get into any kind of rhythm when you get so few opportunities to pass the football. Yet if he makes a better pass to Troupe (or Troupe makes the play) and Roydell or Ganther makes a catch on a perfect pass to each and he's 8-for-14 with two TDs. Nothing to write home about but enough to secure the game when you get nearly 200 yards rushing and the Titans play defense like the did.

Despite his recent setbacks, I think he's making better decisions with the football. You hope that continues to improve with experience. The inconsistencies with his accuracy is a bigger concern, IMO, because I don't think experience necessarily improving the mechanics which puts a ball at White's feet just five years away. I think that will always be part of the package we have to accept.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

TJ- I agree that VY's mechanics need work. He often throws off his back foot and his release is low. This was a knock on him during the scout phase. I don't think it will/can be fixed and probably shouldn't be attempted. He won't ever be that great downfield passer that many people want.

I didn't think he was all that inconsistent on the 8 incomplete passes yesterday. Williams and Troupe in the end zone, Ganther and Moulds were all passes that should have been caught. I don't know how they count the Gage PI statistically, but o/w that puts him at 10/14 with 2-3 TD's AND NO INTS. I don't have the game tape, but I only remember 2 "bad" passes by Vince- the others were defended nicely.

I understand everybody being agitated by the O's inability to get TD's, but I don't understand how irrational people are regarding VY's performance yesterday. If he were 7 for 21 with a couple of INT's, I could understand better.

3. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

Right on riverman!!. Besides not scoring a lot is part of Fisher's philosophy of playing, because if everything goes according to plan it'll take us a long drive to score thus not giving opponents enough playing time to get into rythim. The only thing I think could change is VY's mechanics, I don't see why not. He should work on that on hte offseason.:yell2:

4. TitanJeff

I'm not talking about the deep pass but one or two short balls which he should be able to make with his eyes closed. It seems he gives up a few each game or, even if caught, gives up any chance for additional yards because it didn't hit the receiver in stride.

The Troupe pass may have been catchable but it wasn't close to being where it needed to be to someone as open as he was. I think the ball to Gage was a floater which is why he pushed off. But we've seen similar passes go uncalled before. I don't put that on Young. Sometimes you have to take a shot just to keep the defense honest.

Just making all of the high percentage passes he should would go a long way to improving his game.

5. Riverman

I watched Troupe the entire play. His foot slipped on his out cut- he almost fell. The ball was thrown perfectly to the spot it should have been- Troupe wasn't where HE should have been. What irks me is that Troupe had PLENTY of time and space to accelerate to get to the ball- he just DIDN'T. I don't know if it was poor ball judgement, lack of heart or absolutely ZERO ability to accelerate. IMO- 9 out 10 NFL TE's could have gotten to that ball easy. I honestly think that will be Troupe's Swan song.

Gage and the defender were pushing off each other the whole way down. The defender knew he was beat and was tying Gage up. I don't know why they called it on Gage- they should have called illegal contact after 5 yards or no call at all. It was bogus. (I really hate whining about calls, but there were SEVERAL call and "no calls" that effected plays for us on both sides of the ball.)

He was floating shorter passes earlier this year but this seems to have improved.

6. TitanJeff

I'll have to go back and look at the replay. Troupe did accept blame.

That play, and the later ball to Ganther, were both excellent red zone calls by Chow. Next time he takes heat for being conservative in the red zone, we need to remember it was lack of execution which killed two TDs in that game.

7. Riverman

That's a great point. I thought the game plan against the Raiders was solid and we stuck to it even when we weren't executing. We came out with the win.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I think Vince really lulls his own recievers to sleep with his lazy ball. He'll float many balls during the course of the game and then put a bullet on you, and by then, you get eaten up by the ball. Playing in a pass heavy system in college, the one thing our coaches preached the most was rythm and pace, in order to keep the same mental clock between the WRs and QBs. There isn't a mental clock between our WRs and Vince, and this really disrupts their timing catching the football, especially easy catches. If this doesn't make any sense, think about a slower play being more affected by time than a quick-hitter, that disruption of timing in a quicker, full speed play is less affected by the time disparity because the body is still moving at such a high rate of speed that it can compensate on the fly. But when it is a slower play, slower ball, everything slows down, but the body keeps its same pace, creating a total difference in speeds, the brain can almost not function on the same plane as the ball is on making a simple catch that much difficult because you are waiting on it.

We did a project in school on the importance of timing and rhythm in relevance to the passing game. Quantum Physics

9. TitanJeff

I think there are a combination of things which have set back Young.

Opponents have studied him. They have film on his tendencies. They understand where he likes to throw the ball. Until Young can go down the middle of the field with success, he'll see defenses cheating to the outside where he prefers to go with his passes to help take that away.

I think teams have learned how to better contain Young and keep him from taking off. He'll not be able to generate much with his legs until he can do more downfield with his arm.

Now we have the quad injury. Yesterday, he wasn't 100%. It may have effected his mechanics and certainly impacted his scrambling. I think that's one reason why Chow didn't call on him to do much. If the Titans had of slipped down by a TD or two, I think we may have seen Collins come in.

The other thing is the game plan itself. Young may be becoming less and less the focus. I remember years where the Titans tapped into a fraction of what McNair could do because the goal was to not make mistakes. They'd pound the rock, let an aggressive defense keep it close to score late for the win.

I honestly think looking to take pressure off Young as he develops is a good idea to a point. But despite the 13-3 seasons, I felt a McNair who was better utilized would have won at least one Super Bowl during that time. I don't know if Young will buy into an offense for very long who under-utilizes him when he's back to 100%.

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I guess the goal is to find the medium that doesn't put Vince in the same injury positions as McNair was, but to not underutilize him either. Tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar