Question from a Jets Fan (no trolling)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Doggin94it, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doggin94it

Doggin94it Camp Fodder

Hey guys, not going to talk about the game (except peripherally); I'm sure you've expended enough energy pissed about it. But after watching the game, I'm wondering what your opinions of Kevin Vickerson are, because he flashed a bit while I was watching. I know he's a RFA after the season and he looks like a good fit as a 3-4 DE from a size/tenacity standpoint (6'5 305 is prototype size), so do you think the Titans will give him a high tender? I've also only seen him for one game - was he unusually good in the Jets game, or does he typically play to that level? Any opinions would be much appreciated.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Last season, he didn't do a lot to get my attention. This year, he appears stronger against the run.

As for tender, I think it has to do with whether or not Haynesworth is signed. Brown and Jones are set which means Vickerson is the fourth DT in the rotation if Haynesworth is on the roster.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I have a question for you Jets fan.

As an Aussie I am wondering why you guys released Ben Graham?

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Yeah Vickerson has looked way better this year, still not starter material though.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think vickerson has looked better than jones in the games he has been active. jones HAS to get bigger if he's going to contribute on running downs at DT.

6. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Really? I thought Jones has played pretty well when filling in.

I would like to see him at end with Brown, Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch. That would just be straight up mean.:grrr:

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

just depends on what part of the game you're looking at. jones gets some good push on his pass rush, but when he has to hold his ground against the run he just isn't heavy enough.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Last year one thing stood out to me about Vickerson....he was strong. He was not being pushed around and holding up well to double teams. He's big and strong, maybe even a bit of a 3-4 NT prospect. As for DE, what do the Jets ask from their DE's? Seems some 3-4 DE's still need to be pretty good pass rushers from out there, which I don't think he'd be. But if the DE can be successful by mostly just eating space, I think he'd do that well.

The thing he didn't seem to have last year was quickness, which is typically a trait our d-lineman possess. But this year he seems to not be a step behind as much. I don't know if he made any offseason changes or if he's just getting comfortable in our scheme. Maybe just more playing time helps, because he rarely played last year. He was considered a bit of a project with good potential coming out of college from what I've read. He seems to steadily look better to me and maybe that earns him a spot here next year.

9. Doggin94it

Doggin94it Camp Fodder

Thanks for the replies, all.

Hey - I think I remember seeing you on JetsInsider after we signed Graham - was that you?

Anyway, why'd we cut him? Because he shanked way, way, way to many kicks - about one a game, often in big spots - boomed too few, and nobody ever seemed to have a problem catching his "helicopter" kicks anyway.

DEs in the 3-4 don't really need to be much of a pass-rusher; their job is to hold their ground on the run, control the gaps, take up blockers and let the LBs get the glory. In fact, Richard Seymour - the best 3-4 end in the game - typically has only 4 sacks per year (though he had one season of 8, and 7 already this year). Sacks from a 3-4 DE are a bonus, not a necessity.

From everything I'm hearing, he really does seem like a good fit, and if he is fourth in the DT rotation the Titans might not try too hard to keep him. Thanks - I'll be interested to see his tender next offseason.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Well 3-4 DE's like in Dallas's scheme are looked at as needing good pass rush abilities. But that doesn't seem to be the norm with most 3-4's, so if pass rush isn't a priority from that spot, then Vickerson may fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar