Question about an "illegal formation" call last Sunday?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bobo, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

6:33 left in the 3rd, TH runs for like 15 yards on a 3rd and 1 and we get the 1st down. But it was called back. They said #76 was lined up illegally as the "end man on the LOS".

Stewart was in his usual RT spot, Hartsock was to his left on the line as a TE, and Cramer was to hsi left lined up off the LOS.

Is there something illegal about that that I am missing?

Drew looked like he may have been not on the line to give 7 men, but it was close and that wasn't what they called.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think it would have been legal if he(stewart) had checked in as an eligable receiver.

3. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

it was a judgement call by the line judge that DB was off the line...............

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

But he lined up in his normal RT spot, not in a TE spot.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

oh, i thought they went into some type of heavy formation since it was like 3rd and 1. dont remember the specific formation, just took a guess.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Doesn't matter where he lines up, if he's the last man on LOS it's illegal if he's not declared as eligible. He needs either a TE or WR to also be on LOS (outside of him obviously) for it to be legal formation.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that is true.

But as I already said, Stewart was not the end guy anyway.

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

The tackle either has to be eligible or covered.

9. split_six

split_six Guest

True dat.

Being at the game, I did find it strange that it was the referee (10 yards behind the los), not the line judge that threw the flag for the illegal formation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar