QB is the way to go...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2004, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

We all know that QB is the most important position on the team. Until you have one you can rely on you aren't going anywhere.

I think that Mettenberger has the game to be an effective starter in the NFL. The key word here is THINK....until I know we have a franchise guy I keep trying to find one.

With the way that the salary cap has changed you are not ham strung by the high picks like you used to be.

If throughout the evaluation process you think that Mariotta or Winston have the skill set to be a solid starter then I think you need to take them.

I would then announce that Mettenberger is the starter for the team. Let everyone know that he is going to get his chance to prove what he can do while the rookie sits back and learns the NFL ropes.

If Mett lights it up then great we have our man and hopefully a competent backup as well who can be traded at a later date. If Mett does not prove to be our next franchise guy then you roll with the rookie and see if he is the man.

Their is no doubt that this would give the Titans the best chance at finding their franchise QB.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I totally agree. Sure there's no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning in this draft class.... but there very rarely is. If you have major question marks at the position (and there's no doubt we do) and you are in a position to draft one of the top QBs you do it.

The draft is a crapshoot regardless of position anyway. So IMO if you're gonna roll the dice might as well be on the most important position in the game.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well let me say this; I agree with the line of thinking to draft expensive positions instead of hiring them out of free agency. However, at the moment QB is not the best available option for us. Tampa is very likely to take Jameis Winston out from under us, so if you mean to take Mariota over Mettenberger and a top 2 prospect, I think I'd be more interested in option No.2 there. The Titans are simply so many steps behind that burning the number 2 pick on a guy who sits of the bench is not a desirable situation for me. Theres enough there in Mettenberger to be able to roll out of the gates with him at QB.

But since QB is the most important spot on the team we'd also need to do some work around where he plays from. Luckily free agency gets going before the draft, we should revisit this topic in 3-4 weeks. I have a feeling a lot of peoples draft strategies will change by that time.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  4. JCBRAVE

hard to argue with this because its the right way to tackle an unsettled QB question, but do you not see the potential with Mett?

I mean I only want Winston if hes there, if not Mett becomes the 2nd best QB available to the Tennessee Titans this Spring.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

He's shown flashes. And hey, I'm a fan. But at this point I think it's a 50/50 shot at best that he actually pans out and becomes a legit franchise QB. And knowing our luck, 50/50 odds scare me.

Here's the thing though.... IF he doesn't pan out, who knows how long it's gonna be before we're in a position like this again. As we know, you can be pretty damn bad and still not end up with a high enough draft pick to grab a top QB in the draft.

Of course there's no guarantee Winston or Mariota will pan out either but there never really is with rookie QBs.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Made my last post before I saw this.

Yes, I do like Mett. But I'm not overly confident he's the guy. I just don't think you pass on this opportunity. Like I said earlier, we've been known to waste our first round picks anyway. If we're gonna waste em, I'd rather waste em trying to land a franchise QB than on #2 WRs and bum interior OLman.

7. JCBRAVE

You cant be worried we'll burn the pick on an offensive linemen can you? I have my doubts on Mariota, thats who I predict is the only QB option at that point for us. Mett vs Mariota I like Mett TBH. Mariota on his own is special, but Mariota in TN with Ken Whisenhunt is scary.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

If we're throwing out figures like 50/50 I think we're underestimating the guy, I really do. When I look at players I think are right fits for the Titans I look at a few things; can they scan the field, Mettenberger has impressive skills locating and connecting with receivers, better than 80% of the QB's drafted last year and all but one that will be drafted this year, he's NFL ready. None of the guys after Winston are better suited to led this team in 2015 than Mett.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I was just referring to past drafts with the OLman comment. Point being, even if we pass on QB I'm honestly not confident enough in this FO to believe we will make the right choice anyway.

I should say I'm not a huge fan of Mariota. I've been an advocate for Winston. But now it appears Tampa is going to steal him out from under us because they were smart enough to throw their last game. And if that does end up happening I'd still rather roll into the season with Mettenberger/Mariota than Mettenberger/TBD Bum Veteran.

To me, it's all about odds. And the more shots you take the greater your chance of hitting. I say keep drafting em til you land a great one.

QB can transform your team unlike any other position. Say we do draft Leonard Williams and he actually does pan out.... how many wins does that translate into? Even pass rusher which is arguably the most important position on the defense can't have the kind of impact on the W/L column that a QB can.

This team is soooooooooo far off right now. And I believe that QB is our best chance at making up a huge chunk of lost ground.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

You get it, Ive been saying something very similar all offseason. Williams will be a fabulous player, for us or whoever gets him, but Winston will transform a team from crap to possibly gold. Best option is Tampa forgets to submit their pick and we rush our pick in for Winston, otherwise we better make a hell of a lot of repairs to this team between now and April 30th to allow Mett a chance to shine..

@Riverman has a movie like scenario planned out for us, its tempting but risky. Draft Mariota and wait for the phone to ring....

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar