Punter battle

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanic_Sub, Aug 28, 2022.

?
  1. Brett Kern

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Ryan Stonehouse

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

2. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Trade him for OL

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

With all of the bad luck we've had in the draft and free agency with almost every other position, the Titans have been extremely fortunate to have been set at punter with Hentrich and Kern.

It's crazy to think that Kern is still on the team and has played for every Titans coach, and was a teammate of Keith Bullock's. I also think he holds the Titans record for most games played by a single player.

I love everything he's given us over the years and he's a class act. I almost wish he'd just retire so we don't have to see him in another uniform.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

Kern Cut

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Enter the Colts or Bills to sign him

6. DoubleBlue

DoubleBlue Highly Respected Poster

Fun fact, Kern has the most games played as a Tennessee Titan in team history.

(since team's relocation)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Young54

Young54 Starter

I don't get the Stonehouse hype that much. Yea he can bomb it, but does it really matter if most end up as touchbacks? His college average was 47.8. Kern's average over the same time was 46.9. How often do you guys think we're going to punt from inside our own 30?

Kern single handley won us a handful of games, including the Colts last year, by pinning teams inside the 5 and forcing them to make a mistake. That game may have a different outcome if that's a touchback. Stafford last year and Brady in the playoffs also come to mind.

On the other hand, in 3 preseasons games/part-time, the rook already dropped a snap and pouched a kick. What's gonna happen in the pressure of a real game? Do you guys remember the other scrub punters that lost us games the last two years?

Maybe this is also a cost cutting thing, but I bet Kern would have been open to a restructure. He knows he's not getting $2M from anyone else. Hopefully Stonehouse continues the legacy of secure punters for the Titans, but I'm a little worried.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. DoubleBlue

DoubleBlue Highly Respected Poster

Those games with the replacement punters were fuccin brutal. We have had great punters and kickers here for a very long time. Last couple years kicking has been tough, but i think bullock has actually hit a few 50 yarders in the pre-season so maybe we trust him going forward idk

9. Young54

Young54 Starter

That's my fear. Yea, the kid has potential but we had a sure thing with Kern. Would hate for P to become a roulette headache like we have (had?) with K.

10. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I would have kept Kern and released Woodside...use both Kern and Stonehouse to their strengths...even Kern admitted Stonehouse was better at some things...No doubt someone will pick Kern up but not Woodside

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar