Psystar Mac clones

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Puck, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I know there's some computer dudes here that can give an opinion

http://store.psystar.com/featured/openpro-osx.html

$1500 gets you a 2.8ghz QuadCore with 8gb RAM and a 750gb 7,200 rpm HDD, with a 512mb GeForce 8600 GT, Dual gigabit Ethernet ports / 8 USB and 3 Firewire ...... running (reportedly) a stable OSX 10.5

dual GeForce 9800 GT's/ a BluRay burner and Firwire800 can also be added

no way you can a MacPro built like this for even twice the price

base model with 2.4ghz QuadCore and 2gb ram for $1150

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Does whether or not it runs an Intel processor have any impact on how it runs some mac programs? In my case, I would call Adobe and see if any of their programs would suffer.

If it doesn't, then it sounds like a lot of computer for the money.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

what do you mean ?
    those are Intel chips
    and why would native MAc programs and Adobe compatibility conflict ?
    I guess I don't understand what you mean

I haven't heard any software conflict issues with the newer builds
    the older units had issues with Apple Software Update, but not native apps or Adobe branded software

I've really been looking to upgrade from the G5 iMac (so I can give it to my daughter)
    I have no intention of buying anything with Vista
    don't really want to wait for 7
    still prefer OSX, but will dual boot either Win or Ubuntu

not inclined to build a Hackintosh
    so I'm either looking at buying a refurbed Macbook Pro (do not care for the new ones), wait for the iMac refresh (which was supposed to happen ths week but won't) or take a chance on a Psystar (which doesn't seem to be backing down from Apple despite litigation)

the specs for the cost + OSX is certainly appealing

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I didn't know that. I was referring to how Adobe ran on G5 vs Intel and wondered if that would be an issue here. If this is Intel then it sounds great for the money.

I had no idea people made Mac-clones anymore.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yes, Psystar has begun to make claims that they have fixed the issues with the updates. I'm almost positive you can inititate the update on demand, and iirc, they have also fixed the 'automatic' update process

and yeah, Hackintosh it is
    from what I gather though, Psystar uses alot of the same innards, and actually uses nicer parts in some places (like 10,000 RPM HDD)

btw, that article was posted on Apr 28, 2008
    enough time for them to have released a 2nd gen unit

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I didn't realize anyone else branded chips as Core2Duo / Core2Quad, but no...these are not PowerPC chipsets

Macintosh cloning has actually become a popular sport recently. lots of people want to experience OSX without the high price tag of Mac products

there are guides online on what to buy and how to install. Psystar is really the only entity selling clones, and Apple has had them in court over it already ... then Psystar had the cahones to take Apple to court

as it stands, they are still battling it out
    Apple wants a cease and desist
    Psystar wants Apple to amend the EULA

basically the kicker is that in the OSX EULA it says "OSX to be installed only on Apple Macintosh hardware" .... to which some have cried foul on

I'd really like to see it changed, and it may actually benefit Apple more than they know if OSX could be licensed to Dell, Sony, HP, etc... they certainly would sell more OS licenses and I think the Apple crowd will stick with them. the competition would also drive down the prices

8. Not legally...

From a technical standpoint, it should run pretty much the same as a Mac with the same basic hardware. But there are apparently the updates issue that could turn it into a very expensive brick. And the attention to detail is not up to Apple's snuff (though many people don't care about that).

And Apple will never allow cloning. Cloners almost killed them in the 90's. They are a hardware company and they have no incentive to let other companies compete with them. If people don't want to pay for a Mac, let them buy a Windows computer...

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

exactly why I got a couple of MP3 players instead of an Ipod

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Like I said, they (supposedly) fixed the Update process with a patch and it only affected the automatic process- they are also shipping the restore discs now, which they didn't do when they first built them
    I wouldn't brick the computer , it'd just be stuck at 10.5.X - you could always load Win / Linux or install Snow Leopard when it comes out
    they offer a dual boot configuration with 4 HDD slots, so theoretically you could build one with Leopard / Vista / Linux / XP and boot into whichever OS you choose

again this is not a hardware issue, but a EULA issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar