PS3 price drops $100. New 80g model coming

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Puck, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I played Metroid Prime on gamecube, and it was pretty weak so i stopped after maybe 15 minutes. Nintendo just tries to appeal to kids. That's their downfall. Yes, I know they're selling a lot, but only because they're the cheapest of the 'next gen' systems and they have a gimmick that people are actually buying in to.
    Once the power-glove (wii controller) gimmick wears out, there goes the entire console.

1. The game lineup is absolutely horrible. You can make excuses and say they're trying to appeal to a 'different' crowd, if by different you mean people under the age of 10.

2. The graphics are barely better than a PS2's. How do they expect to sell games if: a) the lineup looks like new atari games, and b) the graphics are as weak as last gen systems?

3. A corolla will outsell an entire Porsche line-up. It doesn't mean it's better. It means it's cheaper. The Wii is the Kia of consoles. It's cute, cheap, and yeah, you can say it's fun to drive all you want - but everyone knows you really wanted a BMW.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

"Different" doesn't have to do with age. It has to do with the amount that the people in that market normally play video games. The point is, they can sell video games to people that wouldn't normally buy them. I've got a friend whose parents really want one.

No one is arguing that the graphics are even close. See even Puck's admittance that it's not all about the graphics (and after reading all of his posts on HD, 1080i, etc... I'd say that's a pretty amazing statement). You're the one who was arguing about the lack of significant difference in high level TVs. Surely you can relate the similarity.

The Wii is trying to appeal to a group with a different sense of what is a "fun game". For some, it's not the incredibly technical or realistic action game, with a pace that requires significant practice to keep up with and usually a lot of video game experience. For some, it's about a different kind of gameplay. I have no idea why, but I can play almost any of the mario kart games for hours on end, but I wouldn't last 30 minutes of Halo. Different people like different things, and it's not all based on age.

This started as Puck noticing that the PS3s are dropping their price... Why? Because their getting outsold by the cheaper, vastly inferior Wii. I'm just trying to explain why you "gamers" shouldn't look down your noses at the Wii. At the very least, you could respect the fact that they figured out a way to remain competitive in the market.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Metroid Prime rocked on all aspects. That is all.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

^ :truedat:
    anyone who played Prime and / or Echoes should know this
    most games are slow in their first 15min - 1st hour
    Prime took some time to get used too
    but it is a worthy FPS in any and all respects

5. Toly

Toly Free your mind

Yes, the Wii is different, but you're certainly blowing it out of proportion here. The only aspect that makes it different is the controller. It doesn't have a graphics card made by aliens or anything like that, you know.

What makes you believe that Nintendo is trying to make new games? And I also don't understand the "Nintendo is generally successful at these things" comment. If one thing Nintendo has proven, is the that they don't mind to repeat the same games over and over again... which is understandable, since they sell well all the time. But there isn't anything new in playing the 245 version of Mario or Zelda.

That is not a very good assumption (though it sounded more like a fact). Sony is competing directly with Microsoft, not Nintendo. This is a move to increase sales obviously, but also to put the PS3 in a better position against the 360 Elite, IMO. Sony is also going to release a new PS3 sku that will be priced at exactly $600, so it may not sound much of a price drop, especially since there was originally a model priced at $500 when the PS3 first launched.

Well, I can understand why many hardcore gamers feel the way they do about the Wii. I love video games, though I can only play 3-4 times a month. But I like to watch how games evolve in all phases (especially graphically) as the years pass by. With the Wii, however, it feels like a step back.

My main concern is that if the Wii continues to ride all this hype and starts dominating the market completely, developers may reconsider their approach on game development. After all, why spend years and millions developing a huge game, when you can spend a few months and less than a million developing a simple game that will earn you the same revenue. Granted, the Halos and GTAs won't go away, but we might see less of original and great titles such as Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, etc. in the years to come.

One thing to remember is that while casual gamers may come and go, hardcore gamers are the ones that made the video game industry what it is today - a multi billion industry.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

lol. They must have sold 280 of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar