PS3 price drops $100. New 80g model coming

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Puck, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

I know this getting a bit off topic, but which of the upconverting DVD players would you say is the best? My father is starting to get into the HD thing (he bought a 60 incher a few months ago), so I was going to get him one of those DVD players. I thought about just buying an HD-DVD player, but there currently isn't a very good selection for HD-DVDs

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

that's tough
    the "best" upconverting players would probably rank along the lines of the better DVD players ... so I would say products from co.'s like Sony, Panasonic, etc.. would be better than RCA's, Cyberhome,etc...

the big thing with "The War" is that some studios have signed up exclusively on one side or the other ... Blu-Rays ace is Disney

you can find out who's on who's side by googling HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray

something else to consider is that Blockbuster has announced that they will begin renting BLu-Ray exclusively

Blu-Ray has ALOT going for it ... but then again, so did Beta

as far as HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray is concerned, I had a better experience with the Blue-Ray ... the general consensus is that Blu looks better than HD-DVD. mysuggestion is to go Blu-Ray and buy certain titles available on BLu-Ray and those that aren't just buy the original DVD versions and let the player "upconvert"

you really need to see both on a 60" 1080p screens setup similarly

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

This is awesome. And it's exactly what PS3 needed to do. Now that the price is 500 dollars, they can actually gain ground even without the sweet amazon deal.
    If I had 500 dollars right now, I'd drop it on one in a heartbeat. But Wii talks should just stop. Have you guys seen their game lineup at E3?? More cartoon games with playstation 2 graphics. It just wont cut it. Here in a year the 360 and PS3 will be the main systems as Wii was a fun game that got old very quickly, unless you're 7 years old then it could be fun.
    But Wii owners are going to get tired of seeing PS3 and 360 get all the good games while they're stuck with cheesy Disney/Pixar games and a bunch of Mario and Donkey Kong games that already came out on N64.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Wii has always been a gimmick and Nintendo has mostly been a kids/teenage aimed console.

Ps3 and 360 were always going to rule, Wii broke out because it was cheap and somewhat new concept.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Of course Wii is going to lose out among you hard core gamers. They aren't going for you people. But there are a lot more younger people who would buy a Wii, or people who like fun games but aren't as intensely into video games as you guys are, that would be much more likely to buy a Wii. Heck, even my girlfriend can be talked into playing a Wii, and she hates video games. You can look down your nose at the graphics and the fact that they don't release as many horror movie or war games, but it's a fun system that appeals to a wider base of people.

And of course, in december all heck will break loose, because they're releasing mario kart for the Wii.

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

go check my Metroid Prime thread
    nothing antiquated or cheesy about it

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Metroid Prime is another cheese game IMO. It was when it was on gamecube too. Problem is, when you see the 360 and PS3 pumping out true next gen games like Assassins Creed, Gears, MSG4, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc - Metroid Prime isn't going to cut it.
    And yeah, my wife actually wants a Wii too. "It's cute" are her words. I told her we can download fun games from the live arcade if that's the type she wants to play. Then she tried to use the 'but it's like exercise' joke. Yeah. Waving a controller around is exercise as much as lifting a remote is.

It's just going to get left in the dust within a year. May sell big numbers, but people that actually want a game system for next gen games aren't going to buy a Wii. If you've got a PS2 or Xbox there's no point in a Wii at all.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I disagree .... with damn near every word of your post

left in the dust?
    the Wii is outselling the ps3 6-1 in Japan
    and that's based on the last few months
    not the entire life of both systems

I ask you again (as i did in the Metroid post) - have you ever played a Metroid game ? If not, you're not informed enough to make the opinion

I'm reminded of the arguments Gunny and I used to have, and in this way he was right .... graphics do not make the game better
    I have all 3 last gen systems
    I have all 3 new gen systems
    and I can tell you that Nintendo makes quality games
    Metroid
    Zelda
    Mario Party
    all excellent and can't be missed games

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That's actually where I think Wii leaves the other systems in the dust. No matter what else you have, Wii is different than all other systems. Comparatively, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are almost the exact same when compared to how different the Wii is. They're going to have games that are actually different than the same 1st person shooters that keep coming out for "next gen" systems. You're right, no one would buy the Wii for it's graphics compared to the other two, but they certainly would buy it for different types of games.

Just because it appeals to different types of people and in different ways than the other systems doesn't mean it won't be successful. It may just be successful with a different market. When the original nintendo came out, it had a much broader audience than video games do now (types, not numbers). People enjoyed original and innovative games, and that's what the Wii is trying to go for. It's actually attempting to change and make new games, and Nintendo is generally successful at these things. Wii may be a failure in the eyes of "traditional gamers", but it's probably going to expand or rexpand the video game market. Heck, I grew up in the first generation of game systems, I had Nintendo, Game Gear, super nintendo, etc... But I have more desire for a Wii than either of the other systems. I'd use a PS3 or Xbox 360 more as a media player than a video game system. I understand that aspect of their marketing as well, but in terms of getting me to buy a system and play video games, I'd gladly go with the Wii when I wouldn't really consider the other systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar