PS3 price drops $100. New 80g model coming

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Puck, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What is "upconverts" mean? That it plays traditional DVDs better?

2. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

PuckDaddy

lol

Get one people. Its well worth it. Get Madden 08 and play me. Ryan915

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Jeff...

Essentially yes. It upconverts the signal. It isn't "true" HD, but it gives you the most out of your DVD as you can. For example. When you watch Survivor on CBS HD. That is an upconverted signal playing on a HD channel.

Seeing that you are a person who helps shape young minds in the world of visual arts, I think having a Ps3 is a must. It isn't a want, it is a need for you. Future generations of O'Moores will thank you.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm all over this. I have the support in #1 son. It's the wifey who may need a little convincing.

You need to get your better half to start hyping how fun it is to have it one at home to mine. I figure we have four months to convince her it is the perfect Christmas gift.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Just tell her you're TitanJeff.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Another noob question....what's blue ray? Just that capability to make dvd's look better? I thought you had to buy blue ray dvd's to use on that system.

Then again, I don't have a HD tv yet anyway.

7. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

blu ray is just a clearer picture i guess im really not too sure

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Bluray is a High Def. DVD format. Blu-ray discs have a MUCH higher capacity than regular DVD.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

so old dvd's you have had for a long time look the same? it takes a blu-ray format dvd for blu-ray players to upconvert it to 1080?

hmm...

[​IMG]

I don't know what that is but I want it.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

let me clear things up a bit

for starters Blu-Ray is a high definiton DVD format currently competing with HD-DVD for next-gen market share.
    HD-DVD discs have a capacity of 25gigs
    Blu-Ray discs have a capacity of 50 gigs

the Ps3 is a Blu-Ray player designed to play both Blu-Ray DVD and Blu-Ray ps3 games. It's native output is 1080p. If connected properly, via HDMI to a compatible display, content is displayed in 1080p - which to people who realize the difference, is an improvement over the already spectacular 1080i
    remember the "i" means interlaced (old tube CRT TV's)
    the "p" means progressive scan

Standard Definition discs are "upconverted" from 480p to 1080p, more than doubling the resolution. the first 'old' DVD that I tested was "The Fifth Element", and it literally rivaled watching CSI on Comcasts HD CBS channel. There is a major improvement in visual resolution despite the source content not actually being mastered in HD form.
    There are many so-called "upconverting" DVD players on the market, but they do not do nearly as good a job of 'upscaling' the material.

I give you my word that the Ps3 @ $500 is an awesome deal, considering that many stand-alone Blu-Ray dvd players cost more than that and do not have the added ability of playing ps1, ps2 and ps3 games.

I will also note that the ps3 is a nifty media center as well. if you have a media server connected to your network it can access those files and play them through the console
    it has built in networking and a functional web browser
    it has built in bluetooth and can pair with other blue devices
    yaddadaa yaddaaada

forget that it's a video game console for a second, and consider that it is the lowest priced BLu-Ray player on the market
    the deal on Amazon that nets you 6 blu-ray DVD's is about a $180 value if you went out and paid the $29.99 MSRP of the DVD's

I guarantee you watching Planet Earth on Blu-Ray will leave you in awe,..... nothing you;ve seen on Comcast, DirecTv, etc. holds a candle to to true 1080p source presentation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar