PS3 60 or 80GB HD?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TitanJeff, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm closer to making a move to get a PS3. I'm curious as to the advantages are for a 80GB over a 60GB. Are there things off the internet you can download and store or is this mainly or mp3 and photo storage?

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it's simply a storage issue
    there are items available on the PSstore available for download (demo's)
    mp3/vids/photos/etc.... can al be stored on the HDD
    there's also the possibility that the Ps3 becomes a DVR at some point, so the more the merrier

is there a difference in the price?
    can you even still get the 60gb model?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm finding a few 60GB. The only reason I am considering it is it appears to play the PS2 stuff better. We'll just have to set up the PS2 in another room if compatibility is an issue.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I'm thinking of getting a PS3, but am worried about compatability when I return to Oz.

My TVs are all NTSC/PAL compatible. Any idea what else would be required to play the system in Oz, and is there a quick fix to playing games/DVDs bought in Australia on the US bought PS3?

5. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Hey Jeff...

I did some research after I got the 80gb in my return deal at Costco to see what the difference is btwn. the two. Looks like the biggest difference is that the 80gb uses software emulation to play PS2 while the 60gb actually had a ps2 "engine" built in and that is why it is 100% compatible with ps2 games. XBox 360 uses software also and that is why some games aren't compatible.

At first I was concerned about it, but then honestly, I don't really play any ps2 games on there. All ps3. Plus, apparently there will be future software updates to make things more compatible.

I think the 60 and 80 are selling for the same price. When you add the extra 20gb and the fact it is a newer machine (I mean, I would think second generation would have more kinks worked out), I am glad I have the 80gb. And if you like shooter games, that Call of Duty 4 is pretty damn cool.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yeah man, sorry .... I forgot the 80gb had the "Emotion Chip" stripped in favor of emulation software ... I had thought they had done that with the 40gb models only
    I've only played a few Ps2 games on the Ps3 anyway, so it really didn't mean a whole lot ... but God of War 2 looked pretty sweet in 1080p

btw.... isn't your primary concern data storage and not backwards compatibility ?

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you could always get a monstrous external HDD

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The only issue I can see you having is the power conversion, I am not sure how it will work with the PS3. I had no issues with the laptop I bought, just had to get a new clover lead.

PS3 is region free so games/movies won't be a problem.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar