Pressure will be on Houston

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VolnTitan, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

not with that O-Line.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Kubiak will get alot more out of that line that Capers did. His zone blocking schemes are phenomenal. I'm sure it will get some personnel re-tooling during the off-season as well.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There will be pressure on the Texans to draft Young. There may be corporate bucks, TV and radio money, ticket sales, etc. riding on the decision.

I personally think it would be about the dumbest thing they could do for a number of reasons. Time will tell.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Technically they don't need a guy like Bush either. The smartest thing they could do is trade down and get extra picks over the next two years. This year they could really strengthen their OL considering they already have the first pick in the 2nd round to go with any traded picks.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Exactly. Them taking Young makes only slightly less sense then taking Bush. They need to trade down, take Ferguson, and then fill their remaining holes. Carr isn't a beast, but is not there biggest problem area. Dominick Davis may be best player on that offense, so why take Bush? Just doesn't make sense with so many gaping holes. :(

7. TitanBlitz

TitanBlitz Camp Fodder

I think what's interesting here is what the difference between the Texans and the Titans drafting Vince Young:

TX = Carr is most likely gone and Young gets thrown in to win or lose behind a suspect OL.
    TN = Young sits behind McNair for a year or two and will most likely have the opportunity to be groomed by "Big Papa"

TX = Pressure for VY to win and win quickly in front of the hometown crowd.
    TN = Not as much pressure coming off the bench or from a 3rd string slot.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I agree. They could take care of a number of issues on the OL along with pick up some talent in other areas both in this draft and the next with the extras they'd get for whoever wants to move up.

Of course, the move would be second-guessed forever no matter which way they go.

We're going to grow tired of the media linking the top three together for the next decade. If one busts, the team who took him will be the punchline for the NFL Draft for years to come.

9. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

John McClain, like him or not, did bring up some good points the other night on 104.5. Texans are in a tough position when it comes to Young. Tougher than normal. If they pass on him, not only are they passing on the hometown hero, but they are risking that he falls to the Dark Side. You don't think Bob McNair, Texans and all of Houston would cringe at having their boy fall to the Titans and then have to see him every year? That has to play a role. Also, there are some HUGE money U of Texas alums in Houston and while fans may not have alot to say that matters, you can bet the big corporate money will have alot to say.

Bush is the obvious best choice for them. They need alot, including a great OL, but the really need another playmaker to take some heat off of Johnson. Bush can be that other playmaker and right away. But make no doubt that the Texans will look long and hard at taking Young.

10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I understand the psychological impact of taking or not taking Young, but c'mon. All things considered, a proffessional organization shouldn't give a damn if a hometown player is playing for them or for their bigger rival; they should prep a team to be the absolute best. Trust me, the fans will forgive the front office if 3-4 years from now, the Texans are a playoff team. Young will not bring that to them, not with the holes on their O-line, secondary, LB corps, etc etc.

Another playmaker? Davis is the nicest playmaker they got; he's done pretty well considering the abyssmal o-line they have. Playmakers do not breed great teams alone; great o-lines and stiffling defenses do, with a good QB to run the show. Carr can be a good QB if given protection (he has decent tools with Davis and Johnson already, a FA could make them more than solid), but that team is seriously lacking in the other essentials. Bottom line? They need to take Ferguson, pick up a 2nd and 3rd trading down, and continue to build up talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar