Pre-Game Thread Preseason Game 4: Titans @ Bears

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

O'Brien has it right....HS doesn't play preseason....teams play in a Jamboree (usually only a half), College doesn't play preseason...they play in an scrimmage against themselves. Do joint practices, and televise them...I would say totally eliminate the entire preseason schedule. It's a joke and a hold over from the days when the players "played into shape", because many of them had off season jobs since it didn't pay enough to support them. Now the players are "in shape" year round. END PRESEASON NOW>

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And if they were to allow the rookies/scrubs to have a full-contact scrimmage in those joint sessions, I'd think that would eliminate the argument that coaches don't get to see them under "real game" conditions.

I'll join any class action suit in a heartbeat for anyone suing the NFL for forcing season ticket holders to pay for worthless games or lose their PSLs.

Yeah. I'm salty as hell about it.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Wow, a BTT post I can get 100% behind.

The league has been pushing for 18 games every offseason for the past few years, so I tend to think they add 2 games while taking something away from preseason.

None of these guys need 4 weeks of this stuff. And by the last PS game even the fans are turned off by it.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

IDK what the attendance is at these games, looks 1/4 of what they could hold tho. So the NFL would lose maybe a million a game in ticket revenue? But maybe theyd make it back on parking/concession and merchandise sales...

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

TJ has really hit it right. They stick it to the most loyal fans by making it part of the season ticket package.

Should only be 2 games.
    Tickets should be free.
    TV revenue will not be affected at all.

• Unreadable Unreadable x 1
  6. TitanJeff

I would like to know the average income an NFL team receives for a home preseason game vs. a regular season.

All those teams with a PSL sell well but still lose out on concessions. I imagine most all teams lose concessions in December games if they are out of the playoff hunt as well.

I don't think expanding the regular season necessarily fixes this as teams who have wrapped up their divisions will rest key players. Teams out of it may do the same. The NFLPA would demand more $$ for players (as they should). It might also lead to expanding NFL rosters.

Expanding the playoffs to include two additional games (no bye for best records) would make the end of the regular season games more important for more teams but would potentially cost some owners whatever they make with those two preseason games if they don't have a team who gets a home playoff game.

To me, the playoff expansion is the easiest solution along with going down to one home/one away preseason game. Make preseason games extremely discounted and not forced on PSL owners. Make it a entertaining event with music, food, players autographs, auction, etc. Teams could make it a fundraising event for every team's foundation.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I'd argue that is the case now.

Putting a price on the ticket doesn't mean that's how much that game is worth. Preseason games are worth nothing. You can barely give those tickets away on the open market. The team could print a price of $0 on the ticket and increase the regular season printed prices and PSL holders would pay the same amount.

Case in point; did you find any takers for the game last week? You probably gave those tickets away. What did week 17 against the Colts go for last year on the open market? Probably more than the printed price.

Jim Irsay said basically the same thing 2013.

Jim Irsay to fans: You don’t really pay full price for preseason tickets

8. TitanJeff

The issue is that face on a ticket is the perceived value of that ticket to a buyer.

They don't care that the seller eats 20% of the season cost and needs to make that up by selling regular season games over face just to break even.

I'd much rather that the eight regular season tickets be the entire cost of the season tickets.

9. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

All preseason games should be free!!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Well, consider this the beginning of YOU turning your life around....PM me and I will tell you how to fix your F'ed up life. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar