Pre-Game Thread Preseason Game 2: Rams @ Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

was referring to the talking heads but good on ya

• LOL LOL x 1
  2. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

• LOL LOL x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I remember prior to the draft, Tony Dungy had compared MM to Aaron Rodgers. At the time I was like "I don't see the comparison" ... Aaron Rodgers is able to extend plays with his legs and is deadly accurate. I felt like Mariota was more of a homerun threat with his legs, and not sure about how his passing would be in the NFL.

But after seeing Mariota (in the limited time we have seen him) he does remind me of Rodgers. So far Mariota has been very accurate on almost all of his passes. We haven't seen him take off and run with the ball, but we have seen him use his legs just a little bit to buy an extra second or two to throw a pass ... And I just get the feeling that Mariota will become a very similar QB to Rodgers down the road.

I'm not saying the Mariota is as good as Rodgers is right now. He is not, and may not ever be that good, but just think that as Mariota develops, that is the style of play we will get from him.

4. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

when did I ever say the first one

the last two, yes

#754 Finnegan2win, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. titanthakur

titanthakur Pro Bowler

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  6. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I agree with almost everything you said. However, I would point out that unless the All22 shows differently, his near INT (Mariota's) wasn't a bad decision but one of the few passes that wasn't executed properly. Because he double clutched it, he slightly underthrew it and the defender made a good play to get his hand on it. Mett made almost the same throw the week before.

So if he makes a better throw, it's not an INT. And this is what separates Mariota and Mett. Mariota will make some expected rookie mistakes here and there (not stepping up in the pocket in game 1, double clutching and 'arming it' in game 2) but he almost never makes a bad decision and has been amazingly accurate with the ball so far. Good decisionmaking and great accuracy (plus mobility we havent really even seen yet) translates into good QB play.

Mett on the other hand, has an absolute canon and it's easy to fall in love with his arm. He can fling the ball wherever he wants. The positives for Mett are that he has improved his reading and speed of progressions but still is making some bad decisions and making a lot more errors on his throws. The INT intended for Hunter in game 1 was a poor throw but also not a great decision. While Hunter was open, it required a good throw on target to the outside corner as the S was to that side. If he had read the S, he would have gone to the other side where DGB was open with no S over the top to pick off an errant pass. He's made a few questionale decisions and other times he makes a poor throw. And by poor throw, he sometimes flat out misses and other times he misses because he doesn't make the kind of throw needed (missing Hunter in the endzone in game 2 on an out route). This kind of inconsistency will make or break your offense. Mett shows flashes of being great but also shows flashes of inconsistency in decision making and execution...and that's mostly against 2nd stringers. On that endzone throw he squeezed into Coffman, the LB was a fingernail from making a play on it. If that's a 1st string LB, is that a completed pass? Incomplete or an INT? I don't know but he follows a fine line and as with most QB's with a canon, relies quite a bit on his armstrength to get it done. Sometimes it's great....sometimes not. Early Favre was great...later Favre not as much.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Frankly I've quoted you many times and you act like we haven't done this routine before which is why people think you're just trolling with this. If you want quotes, spend your own time finding them.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

What you did is project his good stats forward and ignored the bad ones (and explained them away as him getting better) and showed what you thought his numbers would be and said any DECENT QB could hit those. Problem is, the numbers you put out as what you expected Mett to produce would have made him a top 10 QB last year....so NOT numbers any decent QB could hit....and if the numbers make him a top 10 QB, then you ARE suggesting he is a franchise QB by what stats you think he'll produce.

And it's not our agenda that you love Mett, you showed that for months by overinflating his worth and acting like Mariota would be the biggest bust this side of Ryan Leaf. That is YOUR doing, not ours.

10. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Wanna know I pretty much ignore the bad...CUZ HES A SECOND YEAR QB. GAWDAM. You never heard.of a player improving before??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar