Predictions: Studs and Duds of 2008

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanbuoy, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

'Tis the day before kickoff, I can hardly wait to begin another seaon. Time for some thoughts on who we think will shine or struggle in the NFL in 08.

FWIW: Here are my picks (all biased and partial)

QB
    Studley
    Donovan McNabb (back healthy, seems focused... DeSean/Don connection will be deadly)
    Brett Favre (by season's end he'll turn Cotchery and Keller into household names)
    Jake Delhomme (back from injury and deeper talent at wideout will mean a return to form for Jake)
    Tavaris Jackson (he's not ready for the Pro Bowl yet, but I think many will be shocked at how well TJ performs in 08)

Dudley
    (this is all relative... but compared to lofty expectations these guys will struggle)
    Peyton Manning (starting center gone, starting guard gone... no training camp)
    Tom Brady (ask Daunte Culpepper or 07 Don McNabb how much fun it is to play on one leg... Brady will take a beat down in08)
    Tony Romo (Super Bowl or bust for Romo... I'm not feeling it)
    Matt Schaub (Texans continue to pay the price for treating a someone else's sexy back-up QB like a first round pick... they'd be better off with Billy Volek... marginally)

RB
    Studley
    Frank Gore (I don't think Martz will turn him into the second coming of Faulk, but I think he's in for a big year)
    Larry Johnson (the Chiefs have no QB. LJ will get a ton of carries this year. I think it will be Johnson's last truly good season)
    LenDale (after playing all of last season on a torn miniscus... the big man will rush for 1300 plus in 08 despite the addition of Mr. 4.24)
    Leon Washington (this is relative, but I think Leon will put up some impressive numbers in what will evolve into a co-starters role)

Dudley
    Thomas Jones (never really a top tier back... now he's lost a step)
    Clint Portis (I really like this guy, but as he gets older injuries will continue to hamper him)
    Ronnie Brown (one time stud backs up revitalized Ricky Williams)
    Jam Lewis (time's up dude... you're done)

WR
    Studley
    Jericho Cotchery (a reception machine... Cotch will out-perform teammate Coles to establish himself fully as the Jets #1 wideout)
    Desean Jackson (McNabb finally gets a playmaker at wideout... he'll get him the ball early and often)
    Dwayne Jarrett (after a sleepy rookie campaign Jarrett will start to pay dividends for the Panthers)
    Santonio Holmes (damn I hate the Steelers, but I think Holmes will become one of the truly elite wideouts in the AFC in 08)

Dudley
    Donte Stallworth (when will people stop forking out big $ to this guy... less than 700 yards and a couple tuds... meh)
    Devin Hester (not a wideout.)
    DJ Hackett (classic case of someone paying for a guy who on occasion looks brilliant, but has never put it together for a whole season... see Donte Stallworth)

TE
    Studley
    Dallas Clark (this guy seems to get better every year... as much as it pains me, I see Clark being the number one TE in football in 08)
    Heath Miller (makes the step up from simply being a solid tight end to All Pro as the Steelers offence continues to open it up)
    Dustin Keller (I see this guy as a redzone scoring machine... double digit tuds a real possibilty)
    Shockey (I hate this dufus, but he'll rip it up with the Saints)

Dudley
    Antonio Gates (injuries continue to slow Gates and the better options at WR will allow Rivers to spread the ball around)
    Alge Crumpler (I hate this pick... but I can see Crump having a rather unspectacular injury filled campaign as a Titan)
    Vernon Davis (the guy is an athlete not a football player... he'll make the occassional great play, but he'll never be big time)
    Kevin Boss (it's easier being the back-up than it is the starter... Boss will struggle in the starter's role)

2. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Can't see it.

He's going to see the ball so often, he's going to think he's Frank Wycheck. :rolleyes:

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I really only have one question. Why in the world does everybody suddenly think the Jets are a playoff team? They add a 38-year-old quarterback and all of sudden they are gonna win 11 games instead of the 4 they won last year? I'm not buying that.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Yeah I agree. And I honestly don't know how crazy you would have to be to think Peyton Manning and Tom Brady will both be Duds this year, but Tavaris Jackson will be a Stud..

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

sorry TB, I really can't agree with you on any of this
    as a matter of fact, I think you have some of these flipped

6. titansfan4eva24

titansfan4eva24 VY 4 Life

No way Brady and Manning have bad years, even if they are bad its still better than most QB's. Tavaris Jackson? Ehh i dont think so. Thomas Jones will only benefit from Favre being there. Romo will get even better. If the chiefs have no QB then how will Larry Johnson do good? He will be facing 8 men in the box like last year. No way he has a big year. Frank Gore? What happened to the lions running game in detroit when Martz was there? Enough said on that one. Vernon Davis cant really get any worse than he has played, infact I think he has a decent year. Anyways just my opinion.

7. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Neither am I.

Because they picked up Brett Favre they've become a better football team than we are? :shake:

I think not. :rolleyes:

8. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

I don't like how you seem to be using everyone's stats from last year as a bar to where they'll be this season. ( Manning not performing as well as last year so he'll be a dud ) I chose the top five players IMO who will be the best at their positions come Feb.

Studs

QB:

T Brady.
    P. Manning.
    D. Brees.
    T. Romo.
    D. McNabb/ K. Warner. ( health issues? )

RB.

L. Johnson.
    L. Tomlinson.
    A. Peterson.
    B. Westbrook.
    F. Gore.

WR.

R. Moss.
    B. Edwards.
    T. Owens.
    R. Wayne.
    P. Burress.
    J. McCareins. ( hahahahahaha )

TE.

D. Clark.
    J. Witten.
    J. Shockey.
    T. Gonzalez.
    A. Crumpler. (a bit of a homer pick but come on, who else is VY going to throw to?)

No time for the duds part.

9. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

heres my list..

Studs

QB:

Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Tony Romo
    Donovan McNabb
    Aaron Rogers

RB.

Adrian Peterson
    LaDanian Tomlinson
    Marshawn Lynch
    Frank Gore
    Thomas Jones

WR.

Randy Moss
    Terrell Owens
    Braylon Edwards
    Jerricho Cotchery
    Steve Smith

TE
    Jeremy Shockey
    Antonio Gates
    Tony Gonzalez
    Dallas Clark
    Jason Witten

Duds

QB

Chad Pennington
    Joe Flacco
    David Garrard
    Jon Kitna
    JT O'Sullivan

RB

Michael Turner
    Laurence Maroney
    Chris Brown
    DeAngelo Williams
    Willis McGahee

WR

Santana Moss
    Bernard Berrian
    Donte Stallworth

TE

Vernon Davis
    Kevin Boss

10. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Chris Brown is on IR, so yeah, of course he's a dud. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar