Prediction: Titans 2008 Record

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Aug 29, 2008.

?

How many wins for the Titans?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2008.
  1. 13 or more wins.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 12-4

8.9%
  3. 11-5

30.4%
  4. 10-6

28.6%
  5. 9-7

16.1%
  6. 8-8

7.1%
  7. 7-9

5.4%
  8. 6-10

1.8%
  9. 5-11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 4 or less wins.

1.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Keep in mind that of the 10 outside of the division games, 8 of them are the same. The AFC South's record was very skewed based on the schedules our division was matched up against. I don't want to go back and relay the string of 4-12 and 7-9 teams that schedule consisted of.

Let's say the NFL started a new expansion division, and the NFC South was matched up against them both home and away. They would have 8 games against what should be absolutely terrible teams. Say that division goes 8-8, 9-7, 10-6, and 13-3. Is that impressive? Does that mean the Bucs, Panthers, Saints, and Falcons are good because they were fortunate enough to be matched up against weak teams? That's essentially what we did if you go back and look at the teams we played last year.

We are going back and forth here, you think we're a 11-5 team, and everyone else has talked me into believing we are a 16-0 team now. Where are we having 5 losses? You aren't a fan for believing 5 nfl teams can beat us. So sad, you're not a big of fan as me since I predicted we win more games.

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

What are you a Browns fan now? Plain and simple teams are not let into the playoffs. If the Browns wanted the spot so bad they would have beaten Cinci when it was all on the line. Instead they choked and whined to the Colts to keep us out. Which the Colts failed to do.

"Help us Tony Dungy, you are our only hope." :ha:

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I am not saying it is impossible I am saying it is very improbable. The hardest position on the line and leader of the line is not a position that is easily picked up especially with a QB line Manning who is constantly audibling and making last minute adjustments.

Good teams play through injury. The Colts have not really had to deal with injury in the past especially not on the level the Titans have. How does ‘hurt badly’ excuse Manning from 6 INTs or was he hurt too? :rolleyes:

I am sure he will be back on the field but I doubt he will play at full speed. That rarely happens with a knee injury in the first season returning.

I never said it did not count but I also don’t think it is a given that you beat us. You act like the Colts are just taking us out back and beating us like a lame mule. That is not even close to the truth. It doesn’t count if the Titans beat you?

4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Ha ha ha, that didn't come from me. I think you are entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with that opinion, so I argue. That's what this message board is for, discussion. And I think we have had a good one. Both of us have made quite a few valid points, and I enjoyed it. It's nice to talk about something and not have it come down to "they suck" or "we suck".

As for our argument, if you look at the entire league, there were only 13 teams with winning records. One of those was us, so there were only twelve for us to play. Of those twelve, we played two of them twice (Jacksonville and Indy) and then we played Tampa Bay and San Diego once each. (Not counting playoffs). So we wound up playing six games against winning teams. Cleveland, the team we beat out for the playoff spot, only played four games against winning opponents. The vaunted, undefeated New England Patriots played seven games against winning opponents, just one more than us. The San Diego Chargers, who nobody ever doubts, only won one more game than us, and they only played against five winning opponents. So I really don't see where our schedule was too much easier than any of the other top teams in the AFC.

5. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

How did we perform against the teams that had winning records, ie playoff teams? I know I come off as negative, when in fact, I'm simply concerned. I know nothing about football other than what i see on TV, so I'm clearly not qualified to make any decisions.

But, I have watched enough football to know that this offense does NOT have what it takes to catapult to the next level. I'm okay with the pounding ground game...so long as it works, and it produces touchdowns. But from recalling past Superbowl champions (with the lone exception of the 2000 Ravens squad), they all seemed to have potent offenses. In fact, I went back and over the last 30 years, the average points scored by teh Superbowl winner is 32.7. Last year we averaged 18.8 pts per game. And, the game we realed off 38 (the only game with more than the Superbowl average) was with our backup QB behind center.

As much as I love the addition of Crumpler, and what CJ has shown, we are 1 player away from being elite. And, that bothers me that we aren't giving Vince the opportunity and standing still and watching our team continue in mediocrity.

Each game I watch him play, I lose more and more faith. And, I'm not alone...at the games, fans just shake their head in embarrassment. And, for away games at the bar, I see the same thing. The people I feel most sorry for are our defense. And, guys, if we don't win this year, we can say bye bye to Big Al. If we win or have promise at a legitimate shot at a Superbowl, we can get a hometown discount on some of these guys.

That's the advantage of the salary cap...once you get to dynasty level, it's hard to fall from it because players will play at a discount if given a shot at a Super Bowl. I don't see many free agents going to Oakland to get any sort of discount on the cap hit (ie, Javon Walker & Deangelo Hall) How else can New England load up on solid veterans every year, and players go there to play for much less? That is what we need to strive for, and we have made no efforts to get Vince a top tier receiver to launch us into "elite team" status. The window is narrowing, and if we don't take advantage now, in a year or 2, it may be too late.

6. wplatham

Not well. Lol. But we aren't judging how good we were. We were just talking about the strength of schedule.

But since you brought it up. Cleveland was 1-3 against winning teams. New England obviously went 7-0. And San Diego went a whopping 2-3 against winning opponents. We were 2-4. So we did just as well against winning opponents as San Diego and better than Cleveland.

Turns out that playing winning opponents in the NFL is pretty tough for any team. Except the New England Patriots...

7. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Exactly - so if you go by that model, then it does not matter how good a team is. It's TOTALLY dependant on how LUCKY you are in drawing a schedule based on everything you just said.

So, why are we accepting that as a team? Why aren't we trying to DOMINATE like the Patriots, rather than sitting around with average at best players on offense and "hope" we draw an easy schedule?

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Tennessee is confused, the Titans have a lack of talent but heart; the Vols are loaded with talent but are the Tin Man when it comes to heart. Laughable.

9. wplatham

I don't follow you. What I just said shows that our schedule was no easier than three other AFC teams. My point was this year's schedule probably won't be any harder.

10. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Exactly - playing winning opponents in the NFL is very tough. So, if 8 out of 10 teams we play outside the division (the luck part of the schedule since these teams are not a constant) are not playoff teams, then it's much easier for us to beat up on those teams.

It's kinda like Hawaii in college football last year. They went 11-0, or whatever they went in the regular season...that's great right? It is until you look at who they played. And, as soon as they play someone good when it mattered (Georgia), they get absolutely murdered. They're out of their league unless they play someone terrible. Hawaii was simply a mediocre team who had an easy schedule, made it to a bowl game, and got clobbered by the only good team they played all year.

It's a hard comparison because the Titans are in a tough division based on record...but our entire division played those same bad teams. It would be like 4 teams in the SEC getting matched up with 4 teams from the WAC...the SEC will beat up on each other, but when they play outside the division, they have to do well because the WAC is awful.

I believe our 2-5 record (1 of those wins being at Indy when they sat Manning and many other starters) is very indicative of the type of team we had; a Hawaii like team who beats up on scrubs, and can't hang with a solid opponent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar