Pre-season disaster

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Forget the scores from the pre-season games. By the one true measure, the Titans pre-season has been a disaster.

We are now less than 1 week away from our starting game, and we are the only team in the league that doesn't have a nominated starting QB. It's fine to have an open competition at the START of training camp, but that needs to be resolved well before the end of TC.

Not only that, we have no idea who our starting RB will be in week 1. Of the 3 guys in contention, 2 of them may not even be on our roster come opening day!!!!

Now we are scouting the waiver wire for guys who are going to end up way too high on our depth chart. This period of waiver wire transactions should be about upgraing our 4th string LBs and backup special teams players - not finding potential starters on the O-Line.

Our roster is unsettled and below average and we have now run out of time. I'm not going to jump to conclusions until we see regular season results, but any confidence I had in this team is long gone.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I still feel that Collins should have been brought in at the beginning of camp - not in it's last week.

\starting RB really doesn't mean all it's cracked up to. Travis Henry will get the introduction, but Chris WILL get touches, as will LenDale (goalline?)
    it's going to be a RBBC so the "starter" is really just a name

there needs to be some additions as well as subtractions
    there are guys out there that can upgrade our 1st and 2nd teams- not just our 4thSpecialTeam. imo, a crop of solid talent hit the wire yesterday ..

I'll have to give it til Sunday and see what they do .... you've got to think that there will be a good deal of discussion this holiday about the state of affairs ............. IF THERE IS NOT, then I'll wholeheartedly agree with you

3. Carpy

Let's temper our enthusiasm a bit guys. These are players that got cut because they weren't among the best 53 players at their club. This isn't a bunch of players who were regrettably let go for salary cap reasons.

I'm sure other clubs fans are licking their lips at the prospect of getting Calico or Fleming as much as everyone here is pinning our hopes on the Petiti's and Matua's of the world. Fact is, if any of these guys was sure-fire starting material, they wouldn't be let go. I accept that the occasional Priest Holmes falls through the cracks, but hope isn't a good long term strategy.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

have the Jets named their starter?

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

We are among the majority of teams that are looking at the waiver wires to fill some holes right now. Don't make it sound like that's an odd thing for an NFL team to be doing right now. There are a couple elite teams that are stacked, but for the most part, especially in the much talked about Cap Era, most teams are looking at the waviers right now.
    Maybe Calico or Fleming don't look like much to us, but to a team that is ahead of us in other positions, but need more depth at WR or FB, they do.

And our big dilemma at QB is how close is VY to being and NFL impact player, and by last game it looks like he's closer than some people in our division would like.

Curb you enthusiasm,sure, but don't hide your head in doom and gloom, either.

6. Carpy

I agree every team is probably scouting the waiver wire. My issue is that we have less than 1 week until our first game and we are using the waiver wire and potential trades to try and find starting-caliber players, not backups and depth. Why wait!!!

It appears that Fisher and co aren't happy with our QB situation, our RB situation, Our O-line, our Strong safety and our DT rotation. And it would appear in almost all of these areas we have used training camp and the pre-season to determine where we have deficincies and have left it until now to fix it. If Billy wasn't the answer, bring in competition from day 1 of training camp. Lamont was ****e all last year and from the first pre-season game this year. If we are going to dump Brown or Henry for a replacement, let's make the move in time for the replacement to contribute from day 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2571856

7. Hoffa

Again, it is not odd for and NFL team 1 year away from a Cap purge to be doing what we are doing.
    Why wait? because this is the way the NFL works.

I think Fisher and co are VERY happy with our QB situation. We have VY. You gotta look at the big picture.

I think our RB situation is fine, but agree our OL is a concern, along with the D-line. Again, Rome was not built in one season, we are building the foundation right now, don't be so discouraged.

Please, if you are going to let ESPN articles discourage you about Tennessee football, then sadly, you are in for a lifetime of gloom.
    I understand you might not get that living in Australia, but trust me.

8. Hoffa

I guess it all depends on your expectations for the Titans.

1 year out from our cap-purge, I think we are looking pretty good. Good enough to challenge in '06? Of course not!

But, we are in the process of building the blocks that will make us contenders in the near future, for what will hopefully be a long term run.

Don't be glum now, our glummiest days are behind us.
    We are not one of the elite teams today, but we are showing progress.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE...

9. Archtitan

Archtitan Guest

We look like one of the worst teams in the league going into this thing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see only a couple of wins this year. Also, these "building blocks" you speak of - look, our young talent isn't that great either. Our drafts have been pretty awful in recent years. Andre Woolfolk? I had trouble remembering his name just now. Haynesworth? Wish we had taken John Henderson, Jags got him 2 picks later. Adam Jones is just a bad seed, and even if he turns out to be a great player, you know we won't re-sign him in three years. Vince Young? OK, that guy excites me, but I feel sorry for what he's walking into. He's going to be expected to be great with very little around him for at least 2-3 years. Hard to know what to do to fix it all. I realize Fisher and Reese have been trying to right the ship, but their touch is no longer golden. If you love this team like I do, the best prescription is a big dose of patience. In today's NFL, anyone can catch lightning in a bottle for a season.

10. Hoffa

OK, you're being reasonable, maybe beyond reality.

Disagree.
    VY and Lendale are future starts of the NFL. Pacman will be a difference maker on the field. Why do you think he will be gone soon? Give us sound evidence, not just your "hunch".

Now that's just silly.

Re-read what I said above. I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I said. You seem to be all over the place, saying Titans have nothing going for them, but have patience.
    I'm saying "have patience", for next year, but things aren't as gloomy as you'd like us to believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar