Post Combine: Which QB do you want the Titans to take?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Feb 27, 2011.

?
  1. Blaine Gabbert

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Cam Newton

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Jake Locker

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Ryan Mallett

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Christian Ponder

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Colin Kaepernick

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Andy Dalton

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Ricky Stanzi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24

24 Starter

2. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

how come whenever I compared newton to vy i get "it sucks" but you managed to come away clean?
    I doubt he's as big as a momma's boy as vince was... but being unable to think of plays and read defense still scares the ghost out of me...

I don't think all 5 will be drafted in the first round. They're first round material of course, but I doubt 5 teams out of the 32 will get them. I still say draft a defensive player in the first and wait and watch one of them drop to the second

3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Will 5 happen? Who knows, but it is completely possible, especially with a third of the NFL needing a QB. Let's say this happens:
    Buffalo-Newton or Buffalo-Newton
    Bengals-Gabbert Titans-Gabbert
    Titans-Locker Washington-Locker
    Dolphins-Mallett Vikings-Mallett
    Seattle-Ponder... Seattle-Ponder

There are a number of different ways it could fall. We cannot afford to wait this year on a QB. Some teams have the luxury, we don't. If a QB is there at 8 that they believe is a franchise QB, you take him. Then hopefully take Paea (doubt he slides) or Marvin Austin in round 2. Dline is deep enough this year you can wait.

4. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I would love to see Cam off the board when our pick comes. If he's not, that will be one of the longest ten minute stretches of my life. He is the one player in round 1 I absolutely do not want.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

The risk that 3, 4 or even 5 QBs get drafted in round 1 is enough to scare me into thinking the Titans have to take a QB at 8. They need to get in before teams like Washington, Arizona and Seattle.

QB is not a position where you can wait and take whatever guy falls to you. You absolutely have to go out and get the one you like most.

6. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

Why should we be so concerned to draft a QB this year. None of them is ready to start in their rookie season. That means our starter for next season will not come from this draft. Munch already stated that. Therefore we should not worry about taking one high period. At #8 overall we should take the best player available period. We have many holes to fill on defense most of all at the DT position.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's the attitude the Titans had when they took Chris Henry. They felt he was the future franchise RB and made the move when they probably could have had him the the fourth-round.

Even if the Titans have a good feeling about one or two of the available QBs, they have to weigh it against their options. If a better player for a position of need (DT, LB, S) is there at #8, I think they have to take him.

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Disagree. I think that line of thinking works for almost every other position, but not quarterback. It doesn't matter how much you load up on defense, you're going to be spinning your wheels until you find an answer at quarterback. It needs to be priority #1 (and #2 and #3) right now.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Lately, rookie head coaches have had some good luck with rookie QB's.

Rex Ryan & Mark Sanchez went as far as the AFC Title game in 2009.

Mike Smith & Matt Ryan turned a God awful situation around in Atlanta winning 11 regular season games.

John Harbaugh & Joe Flacco posted an 11-5 record, and beat the best Titans team ever in the payoffs.

I think there's a special bond created when a rookie head coach goes to battle with another leader who is also going at it for the first time. I want Locker to be the next Matt Ryan, and if properly handled, why not??

10. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I disagree, would in most drafts, but especially in this one. This is the deepest Dline draft I have seen in a long long time. We can get a DT that can come in and play this year in the 2nd or possibly 3rd. There is plenty of safety and LB talent there in rounds 2-4 as well this year. In the 2nd round we would likely have our pick of any safety in the draft. And guys like Colin McCarthy, Nate Irving and Casey Matthews will be there in the 4th for ILB. I said it in the mock draft thread, this draft, with where the talent is slotted, sits up perfect for our needs this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar