Post 'Bud' Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Aug 28, 2011.

?
  1. Yes - for the better (more aggessive when needed)

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. Yes - for the worse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. I dont know....

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How many in the salary cap era?

And the Cardinals have been to the Superbowl more recently than both the Raiders and the Titans, I guess that is a green light for being a thrifty?

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The SB Champ versions predate the "spending like idiots" versions of the Redskins and Raiders.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

How can you vote for any other selection than "i don't know"?
    Wishful thinking has no effect here.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well, they were both spending good money during their championship runs but its fair to say there wasn't a cap then.

Just pointing out, before we make fun of them for being idiots now, they are amongst the most successful franchises in NFL history. We are not.

As far as thrifty spending Cardinals, what did they just pay Fitzgerald?

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

And at the other end of the spectrum: Pittsburgh Steelers..

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Bidwell is a known tight-a@@.

If you want to use the Fitzgerald example, I can use the salary cap issues we had to show we spend.

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

C - C

i dont know. i was jus thinking about it and realized i knew nothing. some of u mighta read or heard something. Maybe some1 here in TN - and yes other than that perhaps a hopeful guess.

and im not saying blow your money away, far from that. But the titans are a bit different for some reason than other teams and its not always good. Regardless of what some1 said about the Y! article, its still media. Reputations can grow on you real quick, and it would be horrible to be branded as a 'cheap' franchise - especially from a marketing standpoint. We have handled some things really badly as a franchise and agents dont forget. We let things drag our wayy too long - i have a real problem with the way we handle re-signings in general.

People keep saying you can't buy a championship, and i wholeheartedly agree with that. but u can spend wisely on a piece of the puzzle - im not saying go after the 'big name' FA. I also think GM Mike is great at evaluating talent, up till now he has proved very capable both through the draft and FA period - although i feel he might be partly restricted from those above.

Thing is i look at our roster and i wonder where is all that cap going? We haven't even paid CJ yet. we have too many role players....

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/

take a look at that link, it will show you player salaries. For example, it sounds bad to say cut someone without a plan. but if i were to cut lets say, Gage and Washington, i could go out and sign an anquan boldin back when he was a FA and still have something left for depth. Im looking for actual playermakers, not guys that might be one day or can be here and there.

Boldin, Britt, and (Hawk/Mariani/other) sounds a lot better than Britt, Gage and Washington...

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

How about going out to get Kolb and giving him a huge contract. Karlos Dansby is one of the top 2 paid ILB's and most people don't even know who he is, Edge got a HUGE contract a few years back, etc, etc, etc.

Titans might not be afraid to spend money, but I can't remember when they've outbid anyone.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Because you rarely find out who came second in free agency bidding.

10. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Why is nobody ripping into the Pats with how they treated Randy Moss? Or how about how they told Logan Mankins they wouldn't give him a contract until he reported to camp (sound familer anyone)? Remember that time they decided to trade Richard Seymore to the Raiders without even telling him? How about that big contract they gave to Asante Samuel when he was about to hit free agency?

Do know what the difference between the Titans and the Patriots are; Tom Brady and Bill Belicheat. The Pats use their players then cut/trade/beat them into team friendly contracts when the time comes (The exception here is obviously Brady). No one criticizes them however because they won 3 super bowls and went 18-1 that one year.

A Bud Adams-less Titans will look a lot like the current team unless Jake Locker matures into a top ten QB (and I believe he will) or we can find one of those upper echelon guys.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar