Possible back up QBs...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Aug 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Josh Allen lol

2. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

Willis is our #2. You need to start accepting that.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I'm not talking about players that were just overlooked or undervalued in the draft and were surprisingly good in the NFL. I mean players that completely flipped their game after being in the NFL for a couple of years and became long term starters.

Which I don't know the draft eval or career trajectory on all those guys that came in 20+ years ago... Lol

I guess my main point is, it's a long shot that a QB develops at this point in their career...especially someone like Willis who has always been run first, not particularly accurate etc.

Could he possibly win some games? Sure... But I think it would be by him playing HIS game, not turning in to a Tom Brady after sitting for a few years.

• LOL LOL x 1
  4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Ala VY. Same thing as far as I’m concerned. Never wanted VY, never thought he would do well at the NFL level and he was much better than Willis is at college.

the ability to learn and adjust is the key. VY couldn’t which is why his career was so short. He got opportunities because of his draft status, the QB situation, and Bud Adams.
    I hope Willis is also given the opportunity to sit and watch (without fans clamoring for an unprepared QB) to develop a NFL level ability.
    Time will tell.

I do think most of those QBs listed meet the criteria of struggling at first to dramatically turn their game around BUT it still represents a very small amount of exceptions to the general rule.

5. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

VY was miles ahead of Willis in my opinion...and I wasn't a VY fan at all.

There's also a difference between struggling at first and just not having what it takes. I see Willis as just not being able to transition to the NFL as he's always played "backyard" style football that doesn't translate well to the NFL. Completely changing a QBs game at this point in their life just doesn't happen and that's what Willis needs to do, imo.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

VY had a wonderlic score of 6 while Willis scored a 32.

I think Willis has a much better work ethic than VY and is willing to take advice. He understands that he has to improve and he is working on it.

Way too early to say that he is a bust.

The job of Hugh Freeze was to win games at Liberty not to prepare Willis for the NFL…so you draw up plays that let Willis be the dual threat and let Willis do his thing.

To say that qbs can’t improve once they get to the NFL is ridiculous…McNair in the early yrs was a 55% completion guy who improved to be a low 60% guy.

Is it a long shot that Willis becomes a long term starter in the NFL??? Well yes but it is a long shot for everyone. Plenty of 1st rnd busts. I have no problem taking a swing in a guy who is Uber athletic with a cannon of an arm who is smart and has a good work ethic.

I’m rooting for him to succeed

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

If I was GM, my starting QB would be a first round talent, and my backup would be a veteran with former starting experience. If you want to win championships, the guy that touches the ball on every down has to be elite. If he goes down, you need someone who's been there, done that.

I don't understand "project" QBs. What's the point?

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

While I can understand your point, it’s not realistic for starters. Not every team has a starter and a backup veteran with any experience or at least that experience has shown why they’re a backup.
    That doesn’t even take into consideration salary caps. If you think quality backups don’t know how valuable they currently are, that’s a mistake.

Separate point, proven plenty in recent history regarding the idea you need an elite QB. You don’t. Even looking at just SB champs, we know that’s true but add SB losing QBs and conference championship teams, it’s well known that a QB that doesn’t turn the ball over and a D is all you need.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

To be fair,

The center also touches the ball on every down :D

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Brady and Hass played in pro style offenses in college. Johnson and Warner developed in a league that no longer exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar