Position Upgrade: Wide Receiver

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Feb 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Let’s talk about Wide Receivers.

Wide Receivers on the roster for 2022

AJ Brown
    Julio Jones
    Nick Westbrook Ikinhe (technically an ERFA, but I assume he will be offered)
    Dez Fitzpatrick
    Racey Mcmath
    Cody Hollister
    Mason Kinsey

Free Agents

Marcus Johnson
    Cameron Batson
    Chester Rogers

So, John Robinson made it abundantly clear in recent interviews that the Titans didn’t have good enough depth at the WR position in 2021 and that they need guys who can get open in man coverage. Marcus Johnson could be brought back, but I don’t think they would count on him as the #3 again with his injury history. Finding a #3/#2 to pair with AJ Brown LONG TERM is a priority for this offseason. Let’s look at some of the options.

Free Agent WR’s

Allen Robinson
    Chris Godwin
    Devante Adams
    Mike Williams
    Jamison Crowder
    JuJu Smith Schuster
    Will Fuller
    Christian Kirk
    Michael Gallup
    DJ Chark
    Demarcus Robinson
    Allen Lazard
    Cedrick Wilson

Pretty much anybody on this list would be an upgrade over what we have after AJ & Julio. Ideally, signing someone like Godwin to a back heavy deal would give us a young dynamic duo going forward. That being said, I can’t see us breaking the bank on a star WR, and see us likely doing what we did last year, bringing in a bunch of lower cost FA’s and draft choices in the hope that someone rises to the competition. It worked to an extent with Marcus Johnson coming out of nowhere and flashing at times, but when he was out injured, nobody else really came close.

Top WR draft prospects who likely go in Round 1-2

Garrett Wilson
    Drake London
    Treylon Burks
    Chris Olave
    Jameson Williams
    Wan’Dale Robinson
    Jahan Dotson
    Alec Pierce
    George Pickens
    David Bell
    Justyn Ross

There is a lot to like in this group, and any one of these guys would immediately get playing time. After tearing his ACL in the title game, I can’t imagine Jrob would take Jameson Williams early. He likely won’t be available to play next season and the Titans need immediate help. Of the guys that might be available late in the 1st, Treylon Burks is probably the most prototypical outside receiver, while Wan’Dale Robinson is the most ‘Tyreek Hill” like receiver with playmaking speed and shiftiness. I’ve seen mocks giving us Garret Wilson, but I can’t imagine a scenario where he is available that late.

I’ll get the conversation going.

Personally, I’d grab a younger inexpensive guy like Demarcus Robinson, Cedric Wilson, Will Fuller or Allen Lazard in the $3-$6 million/yr range. Then I’d re-sign Marcus Johnson at the league minimum and hope for a comeback. Finally, I would take a speedy gadget guy like Wan’Dale Robinson early in the 2nd if a trade down is possible. This would give us an upgrade of versatility and depth. Thoughts?

• High Five High Five x 5
  2. Carp

Carp Starter

You forgot Metchie on your list. I know he's another ACL tear guy, but he should be ready by week 1 if no set backs. If he falls far enough, I'm sure JRob would pounce on him.

I would also add Alec Pierce to your list of draft prospect. I like him a lot in the mid rounds.

In FA, Ju Ju Smith on a short deal would the most ideal scenario. Should come fairly, cheap as he can't live off name recognition anymore. But it looks like the Chiefs have the inside track here.

Old Man Sanders also continues to be a solid WR option and unlike many of the the FA WRs in this class, he actually stays mostly healthy.

I imagine there will be some cuts too. Cole Beasley, Jarvis Landry, and Randall Cobb are some names I've seen mentioned as cut candidates. I'd be interested in any of them.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

Calvin Austin III

4. Dangermode

Metchie strikes me as more of a late 2nd rounder which is a place I doubt we end up picking. Pierce would be a nice addition in the 3rd for sure!

I really wonder if Juju still has it. Would be an interesting pickup and shouldn't cost much with his lack of production.
    Old Man Sanders lol! Why would we get another old man when we have Julio already! Youth!
    Will be interesting to see who gets cut for sure.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Dangermode

I wouldn't take him until the 4th, but he would be fun to watch!

6. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

We need speed to take the top off the defense. Only a couple of those on the FA list fit that.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Being realistic the only ones from FA in the Titans range I can see possible ;

Fuller (who fits a big need a deep threat), Chark and Lazard.

Don't know much about this draft class yet but Olave was on my short list of wants @ WR last year until he went back to college.

Gotta be reasonable - we arnt coming close to Godwin or some of those others.

Also being real - I don't think many would be sad to see all those depth pieces go or replaced - at least most should be. Sure, fine bring back Westbrook but he better not be the 3rd option again.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Jones and brown. Already a lot of capital spent on WR.
    We’re never gonna have “starter” depth at the 3/4/5 WR positions, I’m good with NWI, don’t like Rogers but even more, Downing needs to not design plays to guys that far down the depth chart when the real starters are available.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Carp

Carp Starter

There a few FA options who aren't exactly starter quality, but are better options than what we currently have. Finding another Adam Humphries type of WR for the slot who can separate and be money on 3rd downs would be really nice. But I suppose if we had a better receiving TE, that would also work out.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Probably doesn't matter who is at WR if the QB can't get them the ball.

But, there's a long possibility of upgrades that can be made in the offseason.

I personally wouldn't mind Cedrick Wilson from the Cowboys. I think he's on the verge of being a big time WR. He definitely would be our #2 and a very good one at that.

I'd love to see us grab Olave with our first round pick. I was wanting us to go TE in the first, but I'm starting to think the value just isn't there for a TE in the first. So, Olave is who I'd like to draft. Great route runner, great hands and good speed. He's going to be a really good NFL WR. But I'm sure he'll go to the Colts.

If we can't get Wilson, Burks or Olave in the first, then I'm all for Alec Pierce in the 3rd. But I highly doubt he'll make it that far now. Cooper Kupp just got Pierce put on the map and teams will now draft him thinking they are going to get another Kupp.

Definitely should be fun to follow as there's a lot on that list.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar