Position Upgrade: Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Feb 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Let’s talk about Offensive Linemen

OL on the roster for 2022

Taylor Lewan
    Rodger Saffold
    Kendall Lamm
    Nate Davis
    Dillon Radunz
    Corey Levin
    Daniel Munyer
    Aaron Brewer
    Jordan Roos
    Derwin Gray
    Brandon Kemp
    Christian Delauro

Free Agents

Ben Jones
    David Quessenberry
    Avery Gennesy

The Titans offensive line remained one of the best in the country at run blocking in 2021 but fell to nearly dead last in pass protection (only Miami was worse). Look at these pass blocking grades and cringe: Lewan 71.1, Saffold 46.7, Jones 66.3, Davis 49.5, Quessenberry 61.6, Brewer 48.7, Lamm 46.7, Levin 7.3, Radunz 39.5. Clearly, the only decent 3 on the team were Lewan, Jones and Quessenberry. My guess is all three are back in some capacity. Saffold feels destined to be released. Radunz, Brewer and Davis will all need to improve if they expect to start for this team. In all likelihood, there will be at least 2 new starters next year, with pass protection guiding what we do next.

Free Agent OL

Guards

Brandon Scherff
    Andrew Norwell
    Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff
    Austin Corbett
    James Daniels
    Connor Williams
    Alex Cappa
    Alex Lewis
    Laken Tomlinson
    Mark Glowinski

Tackles

Orlando Brown Jr.
    Duane Brown
    Nate Solder
    Cam Robinson
    Terron Armstead
    Eric Fisher
    Riley Reiff
    Chriss Hubbard
    Trenton Brown
    Morgan Moses

This is a pretty good OL pool from which to draw, but money could be tight for the Titans and there is always stiff competition for good FA O-linemen. If we are looking to upgrade one Guard and one Tackle position as expected, a combination of draft and FA additions will likely be the best scenario. It should be noted that of the top 40 highest-graded guards and tackles in the league last year, only 15 out of the top 40 were taken in the 1st round. Meaning spending a 1st on OL isn’t a necessity for quality. Sidenote: QB and EDGE are the only positions where 1st round selections consistently do better than later choices.

Top OL draft prospects who likely go in Round 1-4

Guard

Kenyon Green
    Zion Johnson
    Ed Ingram
    Jamaree Salyer
    G/T Luke Goedeke
    Marquis Hayes
    Chasen Hines
    Justin Shaffer
    Thayor Munford
    Tyrese Robinson

Tackle

Evan Neal
    Ikem Ekwonu
    Charles Cross
    Trevor Penning
    Tyler Smith
    Nick Petit-Frere
    Daniel Faalele
    Darian Kinnard
    Rasheed Walker
    Bernhard Raimann
    Abraham Lucas
    Max Mitchell

What we have here is a pretty terrible group of Guards and a deep group of Tackles, including several that could still be available in Round 3. If the Titans decide to forego selecting an offensive lineman in Round 1, they should still be able to find viable prospects in later rounds.

I’ll get the conversation going.

Re-signing Ben Jones is a no brainer, and I’m sure he’d love to end his career in Nashville. It’s clear that this is a better draft class for tackle than guard and guards are much cheaper in FA. Radunz clearly looked more comfortable at Tackle, and should be part of the competition for a Tackle spot in camp. If Saffold is released as expected, that really only leaves Davis and Brewer in the Guard mix. That can’t happen. Bringing in Guard competition via FA makes too much sense. Norwell and Sherff are the best pass blockers but are already 30. Corbett and Cappa are both younger but still very solid. I’d probably go all in for Cappa who should be pricey ($10 mil/yr.), but would be a stalwart at the Guard position for 4-5 years. I’d then draft a Tackle in the 3rd round to compete with Radunz and Quesenberry (who I would re-sign for cheap). Thoughts?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  2. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

That’s a lot of words

• LOL LOL x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Ben Jones is really the only guy on the line I even trust and should bring back. Davis is fine since he’s a guard… - Lewan and Saffold both have zero consistency anymore. Neither can be counted on a full-season. Lewan doesn’t seem to have that same intensity he once had when he was younger.

Quess I liked since he’s from my neck of the woods San Jose but pretty sure I heard he fell apart in 2nd half after being serviceable prior and gave up the most or second most sacks in the league last year. Meh to the entire line. Good luck Tanny.

4. Delco78

Delco78 Starter

Quesenberry is not good. He gave up the most sacks this year. He was clearly a liability. Saffold will be gone. Cost way too much. Lewan will probably be restructured or extended. He had a decent year considering he was coming off an acl. Should be much better next year. Radunz slides into the right tackle spot. Jones should and probably will get resigned leaving only left guard and depth needed.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. 8Bruce8

8Bruce8 Starter

Hope this is the case. Jones has to be a priority. Saffold though, I remember making big plays on run downs but didnt realise he was that bad on pass plays. He is pricey this year though. Lewan should stay, Hard to find a reasonably good LT these days. Davis needs to step up. No excuses now, gotta start getting them blocks and not missing his man. Seems like our front 5 always got lost on drop back blitzes this year and doubled somebody leaving someone else wide open,

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Delco78

Delco78 Starter

Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson and Tyler Linderbaum are real possibilities for our first round pick. All 3 would be good guards with Linderbaum and Johnson having the ability to play center.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing Saffold, Lewan, Jones, and Davis back although that’s a lot of cap, specifically saffold and Lewan. That would also alleviate the need to draft OL almost entirely with Radunz and brewer still around.

Some of those names on the roster already, have no idea who they are or if there is any chance to expect possible time as starter.

Grab a depth guy or 2, maybe make a push for another RT.

Don’t want to see a LT, LG, C, and RT all on the “needs” going into FA and draft.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Going to need to go Guard in the first. Saffold has to be cut, we need the cap space.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

can also let go of some training staff. I am sure at least 2 were full time on portaging saffold off the field every other play

• LOL LOL x 3
  10. DoubleBlue

DoubleBlue Highly Respected Poster

Portaging is hilariously accurate, i am still laughing at this

• Cheers Cheers x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar