Please Get #28 And His Dreadlocks Out Of The Starting Defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Mex#1TitanFan, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I never saw our corners do that. Are you basing this on your own observations or what you read in a forum?

I do notice a lot of cushion at times but that points more to the talent/experience of our corners who are trying to give themselves an advantage to keep from getting burned.

Where? When? Be specific. There were blitzes. Some got some pressure on him. Some didn't and Pennington burned for for it.

Every 4-3 team who has a top pass defense generates consistent pressure without the blitz. Why do you think the best DEs get paid top dollar and are so highly coveted?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i was the one who posted that, and believe me, it happened.

im going to have to disagree with you there. pacman LOVES press coverage, and he's very good at it. when they were "just playing football" in the preseason he was in press coverage non-stop. i dont think it's a coincidence that he had a much better preseason than game one.

3. TitanJeff

I'm not saying they never press but I also see situations where they play off the LOS. It's usually due to a situation where the opponent needs a big gainer and the likelihood of a short pass is less.

As good as Rolle was, I remember him playing off the LOS often. It didn't seem to point to bad scheme then.

In the case you mention, I'm throwing the BS flag on that one if you are referring to one of the first two Jets TDs. There was never a "5-7 yard cushion" when the Jets were on the 10.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

They didn't score on the particular play/drive I'm referring to, in fact I'm pretty sure it was one of the shanked FG drives. Actually I believe it was at the beginning of the 4th quarter to be exact where the Jets have 1st and 4 on the Titans 4 yard line. Our CB's were lined up about 1 yard deep in the endzone.
    I noticed one other play in our redzone where they were backed up 5-7 yards, but I can't remember when exactly or what the outcome was.

I merely referenced bigtitan53279 to illustrate I wasn't the only one who noticed this.

5. TitanJeff

So how is this bad scheme? ;)

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

IIRC, it was on the drive that ferguson held laboy. i think cotchery caught a td, but it was nulified.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

3-2-TEN2 (14:29) C.Pennington pass short right to J.Cotchery for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on NYJ-D.Ferguson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TEN 2 - No Play.

^-- that was the drive I was talking about too

8. TitanJeff

Okay, if the ball was at the 2, then you could very well have seen a corner standing in the endzone at the snap. That's not 5-7 yards.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

On the previous play it was 1st and 4 from the Titans 4, Jeff (why am I repeating myself?) and that was where they had a 5 yard cushion well into the endzone. The fact that they score on a pass on the very next play, just shows we weren't capable of stopping their passing even in such a tight space (if it wasn't for a holding by D'Brick).

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Very bad. In any scheme the defenders are at a disadvantage because they are reacting to the play whereas the offensive players know what's going to happen.

Too much zone always gives WR a bigger cushion to further put the DB at a disadvantage. Why do our DB's often line up at LOS & start backpedalling before they even bump the WR.

Man coverage disrupts routes & puts it on the WR to beat his man fair & square.

We show blitz plenty of times then drop out of it. Play the 46D with a high percentage of blitzes from all angles then occasionally dropping out of it is clever & confusing. Do it as often as Schwartz does & it pays off to gamble that we aren't actually coming.

The jets last TD drive we had nothing to lose by going after them. Better to get burned trying to kill a drive cold than giving them yards through zone coverage.

Schwartz is like a boxer without a knockout punch. Lots of fancy footwork & jabs but his scheme doesn't put the other team away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar