Players vs NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Mar 14, 2011.

?
  1. Replacement players in "real" NFL

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. NFL players playing in a makeshift league

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I was having this discussion with some buddies last night.

If all of the NFL players got together and formed their own league for a year, keeping the rosters intact, would you watch replacement players in the "real" NFL or the name players in their backyard football league?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'd tune in to the makeshift league, because there are some things I'd like the NFL to change. Hopefully if there were to be a makeshift league, they could do it better than the NFL does. Why would I want to tune into replacement players I could tackle.....

3. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

are you talking about under the current conditions? or just any general given year/season?

4. Fry

Just under the current situation. A "I'm taking my ball and going home." type thing for the players.

5. pettso

pettso Starter

There's a better chance of the NFL starting up with replacement players than the current players starting up a new makeshift league.

The NFL has everything... stadiums, team facilities, TV deals, etc. On top of that, the NFLPA has disbanded. Correct me if I'm wrong but some players could theoretically just come back and play in the NFL without breaking any union contracts.

The players don't have the experience or funding to start up their own league. They would need to look somewhere else and that would involve creating a new CBA with someone other than the NFL, which would effectively put the players vs. the owners in a do or die fight. I can almost guarantee the owners come out on top. $40 billion can go a long way.

Edit: To answer what I would rather watch... if they could get stadiums, coaching staff, TV deals and reasonable regulations I would obviously rather watch the best players in the world do their thing.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I just becomes an uncivilized game of athletes talking all kinds of crap and zero sportsmanship, much like the BS that takes place on the And1 tour or Rucker park. It is not positive, nor does it send the right message to kids, and will always be a makeshift league. There are good players that play in the XFL, UFL and Canadian Football leagues, but it's the owner's behind the success and the NFL shield that wields the power, not the players.

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

The fans make and break a league, i dont care how much money the NFl owners have, if the fans were ready and willing to pay to see a new league then it would work. it's a shame the XFL didnt last long enough due to the fans not tuning in.

With this Lock Out looming several years ago, i dont know why nobody tried to start up a new league, right now would be a perfect time to hit the market.

i would like to see some competition for the NFL.

8. Fry

The UFL?

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

yea i been checking CBS and Fox, i dont see it coming on/.

10. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

versus owns the rights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar