Pick 29 of the 2020 NFL Draft: Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 23, 2020.

?

Grade this pick.

Poll closed Apr 27, 2020.
  1. A+

6.7%
  2. A

6.7%
  3. A-

8.0%
  4. B+

17.3%
  5. B

22.7%
  6. B-

9.3%
  7. C+

9.3%
  8. C

10.7%
  9. C-

5.3%
  10. D+

2.7%
  11. D

1.3%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Watched the Georgia vs Florida game this morning....to watch Wilson against Greenard and Zuniga both who were Day 2 picks.....got to say that I'm a little more worried about the pick....early one whiffs on Greenards inside move and literally falls to the ground...this is not the only time he lunges forward and whiffs and goes down...also just didn't show much power to move guys back off the line of scrimmage...seems to engage and then stops moving his feet...his size allows him to wall guys off, but he doesn't drive them backwards very often...after watching that game my prediction is that Kelly is the starter

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I guess time will tell....

3. JVC34

JVC34 Special Teams Standout

From the games I watched....he totally dominated. Especially in the second half of games.

4. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Are you talking about him not moving guys backwards in the run game or in his pass protections?

OL aren't going to be moving people backwards in the pass game... I agree I have concerns about his ability to handle speed, but to think he's gonna be moving people backwards in his pass sets is totally unrealistic.

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I hope he just had a bad game....he did squash a few people, but you don't see many NFL lineman reaching so much and whiffing that it causes them to fall to the ground and it happened multiple times.

I didn't really focus on OL at all pre-draft in terms of watching full games...just watched highlight videos which makes them all look good.

So this was my first full game just focusing on him....will have to watch Auburn game...it is great to youtube the condensed version of games and they only take 30mins

6. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

I watched his LSU tape after we drafted him and I here was my thoughts:

Pros: He isn't as slow as his combine numbers show. He can just eat a bulrush, and even speed guys have a hard time getting that angle to the QB because he's so large. He handles stunts very well and is patient on switching blocks. He's an absolute force in the run game though. He's was consistently moving the defender 3-5 yards downfield on his blocks and gets to the 2nd level with ease as well.

Cons: He is slow punching guys off the line. He often waits for them to make a move before trying to punch them. He's got long arms so if he can learn to punch them before they make their move, he could be dominant. But he got beat by the rip move a couple of times, and the spin move as well. Again if he can learn to get him hands on them quicker some of that can go away.

I'm sure we will chip block with him over there some with as many 2 TE sets as we run. We would do the same with Dennis Kelly or even Conklin last year.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Of course not in pass sets...I was talking about running plays...IMO the DL wins if he is able to stuff the OT and not give ground and this happened quite a bit..

8. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Go watch his LSU tape. Definitely not what I saw.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

If his punch and some of his hand and footwork are his biggest issues, he should be able to learn a lot from Lewan and Kelly.

Both of those guys are pretty good with their sets and hand placement. Kelly doesn't have a ton of power, but wins with solid technique. Hopefully they can help the young man improve his game and maximize his potential, because he has a ton of it.

10. JVC34

JVC34 Special Teams Standout

CBS and almost all notable sources have him rated B+. From what I have seen, he is a huge upgrade on the right side. As a Georgia fan he was more than solid....and dominating with the run. That said lets see how it plays out. Obviously Vrabel and JR think they can develop a special player here, and time will have the answers. One fact is, our right side of the line looked weak after the Conklin release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar