Pick #16: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CKTitan, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

The Eagles did a great job with trading up for Brandon Graham. I think the Dolphins may of drafted him. Just sucks that the Eagles traded up 3 spots before us for him. The Eagles will make him a LaMarr Woodley. Brandon Graham was #3 on my big board (behind Berry and Haden), #4 was Morgan, and #5 was Kyle Wilson. I was hoping we stayed away from JPP. Morgan is a solid pick-up, sure he may not run a 4.50 or put up 40 BP but he's the most NFL-Ready DE.

2. xpmar9x

I agree. When they say "the door is shut" that is when a deal is done. All the other teams quit trying and the Titans capitalize. I think we could send Vickerson, 2010 6th, and 2011 conditional pick (starts at 3 could go to 2). Vickerson is a good fit for NT, that's why him over Brown.

Very interesting. But, I don't think it'll happen. Just because Carroll is the Seahawks coach doesn't mean he'll trade for every USC player. Plus the Seahawks already have Julius Jones, Justin Forsett, Louis Ranklin, and Quinton Ganther. Plus, they could draft a 4th round RB just as good as White. I love the idea though, and hope it gets done.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Nice pick. I'm tired of drafting "projects" which take 2-3 seasons before they do anything. He'll be plugged into the rotation from day one. Solid against the run and has more than a speed rush.

Time to look at CB and LB.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Texas_Titan_1

Texas_Titan_1 Camp Fodder

Exactly!

He hasn’t played a down and there are those that are ready to say, wow what a great pick, or that he is the safest and will be good. Judging a player goes both ways.

For me the pick was/is just OK. Morgan looks good on tape, and if Wash can coach up small school sleepers, think about what he could do with the ACC Defensive Player of the year. My only thoughts are that on tape he looks like a clone of Jason Jones, and where does he fit in, and who do you cut?

DT – Brown, Marks, Vickerson, Haye, Jones,
    DE – Babin, Hayes, Ford, Ball, and now Morgan

I am one of those armchair GMs (just like everyone else), but I would have preferred to move Jones to end (since he was an end in college and is very similar to Morgan) and drafted Kyle Wilson since corner & returner are our biggest needs and he fills both. Especially since we don’t have a 2nd rnd pick.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think the Seahawks would rather have Marshawn Lynch and they can probably get him for less. I don't see that trade happening.

6. xpmar9x

I agree Toronto, all Marion Barber has been discussed in trades.

Lynch probably is going for a 4th/5th...

7. xpmar9x

...and WR possibly.

8. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Jaguars fans are actually pretty damn optimistic about the pick considering the circumstances.

We're sitting here whining about getting the guy that most analysts had rated as the best DE in the class. I know that we are all NFL experts/GMs but come on...

DE end was our biggest need and we drafted the best available 4-3 DE. How can you complain before seeing him play?

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. xpmar9x

EXACTLY!!!

Graham was the best 3-4 OLB/DE prospect.
    Morgan was the best 4-3 DE prospect.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I suspect we would have traded down if there had been an offer and used the additional gained pick to trade for AH. We'd have gone for Kyle Wilson with that lower 1st rounder. That would have been my dream scenario.

That being said, we did get a great value with Morgan at #16. I don't see how anybody can honestly feel negative about the pick given the apparent cicrumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar