Pick #126: Lavelle Hawkins, WR, California

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by sirjesse, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Just gonna throw this out there, last year's stats for the two Cal recievers drafted:

Player GP REC YD Y/C Y/G TD
    Lavelle Hawkins 13 72 872 12.1 67.1 6
    DeSean Jackson 12 65 762 11.7 63.5 6

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I dont want to upset anyone when making Patriots/Titans comparisons. But uh...

Jeff Fisher is not Bill Belichick

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

If Hawk turns out to be half of what he thinks he is, we will be very happy with this pick.

4. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Great pick i heard he had a better year than Desean Jackson on espn! He may be a gem you never know, Iam glad we used the first pick on Chris Johnson, he automatically brings the kick return game back to us plus, he can be spread on diferent formations all over the field thanks to his speed...:yes:

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Well, let's remember Jackson probably had the opponent's #1 CB covering him as well.

6. TM

TM Starter

Hawkins

Comments on Hawkins from the Senior Bowl:

What the team is not saying and some fans aren't getting is that we weren't looking for just any WR, we were looking for a slot receiver to upgrade C. Davis spot. That's why we brought in Avery and Royal for a look. We probably didn't feel any of the WRs were true #1s and we had plenty of #2 guys to play on the outside.

7. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Agreed. Vinces short game should be ridiculous now with the Hawk possibly in the slot, Alge at end and CJ out of the backfield! I'm actually quite excited.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good point. We should calm down. We are getting too excited. Despite the fact that Hawkins looks much more like a true NFL WR and not some pip squeak speed only guy. Of course this is strange considering few college teams flip their CBs at all and who covers who is normally based on what side the WR lines up on.

Oh, add in the fact that DCs were probably just as or more scared about what hawkins would do to them as DJax. It isn't like Hawkins is dog do do. I'd say they were equally respected.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Who says Hawkins looks more like a "true NFL WR" than Jackson?

Let me get this straight...

DeSean Jackson goes at pick 49. We take Hawkins 77 picks later and we are to believe he is as good a prospect?

I hope Hawkins is a good pick and he probably was a value in the fourth but I find it a joke anyone thinks he's close to what Jackson brings.

Hawkins gained 1,748 receiving in three seasons with 12 TDs. Jackson gained 2,423 with 22 TDs. None of that includes his return numbers.

Yes, Hawkins outgained Jackson this season but he also played in one more game. Go back a season and Jackson outgained him by 355 yards.

10. mellowyellow

mellowyellow Camp Fodder

Hawkins should be pretty good, and there will be plenty of opportunities for him to play next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar