Philisophical Question:

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Just saying these guys aren't what they used to be, and we would have to give a pretty high price for them. Heck, we spent money for Givens and can't even get him on the field. I can see money for a LB like Thornton, they are few and far between, but DE's can be developed these days. There are so many good ones coming out of college now I just think it would be silly to spend the money for Freeny. Moss may still have it, but playing on a lousy team has probably caused him to lose interest. You also have to wonder who really wants to come to this organization after two years of losing, and another one on the horizon. We are pathetic to the point I bet we are being listed as one of those "no trade to" teams. My how quickly things have changed.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

DE are easy to develop.

Have you heard of

LaBoy
    Odom
    Schobel

3. maximus

maximus Starter

They both make each other. Would Peyton Manning look as good with Roydell Williams, courtney Roby and Drew Bennet. No, he would not. would Vince Young look better with Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Brandon Stokeley. Vince would look a world better.
    A great QB makes a average WR look good. A great WR makes an average QB look good. A great QB and a great WR look amazing. A average QB and an average WR look, well, average.
    The system is also accountable. Systems like Mike Martz's and the system New England uses are very friendly to the QB and to the WR

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

So you think Freeney...in his prime...has LOST IT?!?!? If DE's are so easy to develop, how can he have lost it?

How many DE's in this league have avg'd 10+ sacks per year for the last 5 years? Then we'll see how 'easy' it is to develop a good one. Plus, if you're gonna rebuild faster, you're gonna need to spend some money. Is there an OL as good as Freeney available in a trade or free agency? Probably not. Plus, who do you see in the college ranks that you think are can't miss dominant pass rushers?

And how many dominant pass rushers (avg 10 sacks a year for 5 or more years) came outside of the first rnd? How many have come outside of the top 15 players?

Compare that to the number of first and second rnd DE's who DON'T avg 10 sacks a year.

Now tell me how easy it is...

Considering Moss' age, drooping production, salary, and his lazy attitude....a straight up swap for Pacman sounds about right.....IF we want Moss.

And this is not baseball where you have the perennial haves and the have nots. Bad teams can become good teams in as little as 2 years so players don't really make no trade clauses with inclusive teams and exclusive teams.

Gut

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

if systems are so QB friendly, why don't all teams use them?

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

You get what you pay for. If it is true that Fisher wanted a defensive player instead of Young, Mario might be playing DE right now for us. Keep in mind right now that Odom and AH are still out. We are also not exactly loaded at the LB position, and that includes Sirmon AND Bulluck.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

There's no scenario in which we would get mario. The texans took him, there wasn't any chance. The saints probably would have taken him if they didn't. Surely you aren't suggesting we would have traded up? No way.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i just dont see how you can say thornton is playing better than bulluck.

thornton has more trouble than bulluck when it comes to getting off of blocks, bulluck is faster and more athletic.

even if you look at their stats their numbers are pretty much identical, aside from tackles. bullcuk has about 19 more tackles, while thornton has one more pass breakup and bulluck has one more sack.

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I am sure Fisher voiced this before the draft. I think the Texans taking Mario surprised everyone. Even if the Texans had taken Bush, I don't believe the Saints would have taken Mario, so he might have still been there. I am saying overall Fisher would have been OK with either Volek or McNair, and wanted to beef up the defense, which certainly could use it. Now we not only have a problematic defense, but a project in a rookie QB, which isn't helping either. We have problems on both sides of the ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar