philip merling is the pick at 24

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fry, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

if he's there, we're going to take him. we value defense more than offense, we always have and always will. and we especially don't value WR, which is why we have the crap at the position that we do.

but philip merling would be the perfect fit in our defense. there is one difference between merling and all the other potential ends other than chris long; he can anchor against the run and be a good pass rusher. that would make him a better fit at left end, which is where he would be playing in tennessee. that would also allow kearse to be a situational pass rusher.

he's not going to be the dwight freeney type, but he very well could end up being michael strahan.

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

He very well could be.

My only question about Merling is whether he is explosive enough to fit what Washburn is looking for in a DE. He even said as much earlier this off-season ".

We have routinely valued explosiveness and athleticism more highly than bulk at the DE position, although I recently heard Washburn say that "reach" was one of the main ingerdients he looks for in a successful pass-rusher.

3. Architect

Architect Pain Train

I wouldnt be mad at this pick if jackson and d thomas arent on the board. But if we dont got WR and TE/RB in the second and third Im gonna be pissed!

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

That is a joke right?

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If going DE then Groves. I really value the fact that if Bulluck or Thornton gets hurt we just plug him in there then Kearse is a full time DE. Brings good depth for now and the future.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and why is that so far fetched?

from scouts inc.

strahan:

Comment: Strahan played in only nine games last season due to injury but still has a good mix of size, strength and athleticism. He has lost some quickness and speed but uses his long arms and strong hands to gain leverage and control the line of scrimmage. His initial movement is still very good and he can pressure quarterbacks well as a wide speed rusher. Strahan uses his hands well to separate and disengage when working the edge of blockers but tends to get tied up when playing down the middle. He will play a bit high at times and blockers will lock on and wall him off on base zone blocking plays. A crafty veteran who feels pad pressure well, he also reads blocking schemes effectively and can squeeze running lanes with good body position. He is instinctive in his reactions to draws and screens and rarely gets fooled by misdirection plays. He runs well and shows enough range in pursuit to run down ball carriers. Strahan is a future Hall of Famer near the end of his career but he can still be a force on the edge when healthy.

merling:
    Strengths: Is a well built DE with adequate height and good bulk, arm length (33.2 inches) and hand span (9.5 inches). Has above-average initial quickness for size and can beat blockers to the point of attack. Moves well laterally and keeps head up when scraping down the line of scrimmage. Takes excellent pursuit angles, plays with a good motor and has above-average range. Generally does a good job of getting in position, plays with discipline versus the run and will execute his assignment. Thickly built with a strong lower body. Is able to take on blocks when he plays with leverage. Plays with a mean streak. Wraps up upon contact and is reliable open field tackler that can deliver the big hit. Uses hands to protect legs, shows good balance and can fight over cut blocks though is somewhat inconsistent in this area. Flashes the ability to turn the corner and is a relentless pass rusher. Athletic enough to redirect inside after starting outside and flashes an effective swim move. Stays alert, has long arms and gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Has experience lining up at defensive tackle, has experience dropping into coverage and is versatile.

Weaknesses: Has good size for a defensive end but stands up high too much and gets driven back on some of those occasions. Has some problems shedding bocks when he lets blockers lock onto his frame. Does not show powerful upper body strength (only 17 reps on bench press). Lacks elite closing speed for an end and is going to have a harder time turning the corner at the NFL level. Relies on quickness and athletic ability too much and isn't much of a bull rusher at this point. Turns shoulders and creates running lanes too much. Doesn't always rush outside in and lets quarterbacks break contain too much.

Overall: Merling played 271 snaps during his true freshman season in 2005. He started all 13 games of the 2006 season, finishing with 46 total tackles, including ten tackles-for-loss. Merling also recorded three sacks, 20 quarterback hurries and one forced fumble that year. In 2007, he recorded 78 total tackles, including 17 tackles-for-loss and seven sacks. Merling does not possess the speed of a dominant edge rusher and he needs to improve his upper body power. However, Merling is a gifted athlete for his size and he projects as an impact every-down starter in the NFL. While he could develop into a solid 3-4 end, we think his best fit is at the power-end position in a traditional 4-3 scheme. Regardless, Merling projects as a mid-first round pick.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I've been saying he's our pick if there for a while glad some people jumped on.

If not I say D-Jax or a CB.

8. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I will vomit if we pick Merling first, I will vomit all over the place.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I would rather pick merling than almost any WR that might be on the board.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

:barf:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar