Penn State deserves Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Jul 14, 2012.

?

Death Penalty?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2012.
  1. YES, DEATH PENALTY

63.6%
  2. No...

36.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Oh yeah and as an aside. I know that Sandusky was a football coach and committed criminal behavior and that the institution acted to cover up the entire situation. But how does that offer a competitive advantage to the program?

I don't think it is right to punish the current football players and coaches for what I consider was a COLOSSAL blunder by the school's administration. There should be huge fines to the institution if anything. Their should definitely be civil litigation (if not criminal) to the institution for their attempts to prevent police and civil authorities from finding out about this situation. But penalizing the football program itself simply seems like a pound of flesh for the public as well. I'm sure the Board of Trustees are quite pleased that the public's wrath is directed at the football program rather than the academic portions of the institution.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well this isn't a thread to crucify Paterno, it is a thread to crucify Penn State.

I am sick to death of people saying "it's not fair to punish the current players" because in that case no university should ever be punished for anything.

Facts are this happened at Penn State. Multiple people had knowledge, covered it up, and allowed it to continue for years. Penn State deserves to be punished.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Riverman

Agreed. Who advocated PSU shouldn't be punished?

Why the football program? Seems the more appropriate target of the punishment should be the institution. What competitive advantage did the football program gain from this Sandusky debacle?

There should be ENORMOUS civil damages awarded to the victims and/or their family members. Criminal charges (aiding and abetting) should be considered if the evidence supports the former president and board members have specific and definite knowledge of criminal activity and failed to report it.

This is a 1-2 switch-a-roo designed to satisfy the public while protecting the board members of PSU.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Hitting the football program does hit the institution, football revenues are a large part of overall revenues.

5. Riverman

yes but that is SO indirect. Why not just wait for some serious civil damages?

6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Some thoughts after reading the thread...

1. They should've made them change the name to Pedd State.

2. This season, you can finish third in the "Leaders" division of the B10 (ironic name) behind OSU and PSU and go to the title game.

3. The players can transfer with no penalty and, according to the DP show, A SCHOOL CAN TAKE THEM EVEN IF THEY ARE OUT OF SCHOLORSHIPS! THESE GUYS DON'T COUNT AGAINST THE SCHOLORSHIP LIMITS!

I hope Dooley is on a plane right now. There's gotta be someone up there we could use.

7. Riverman

Wow! I didn't realize that. That is a good precedent to limit the punishment to the institution.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well it's still the only university where you could major in minors.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I wonder if the new defensive coordinator will stick with Sandusky's philosophy of getting penetration and always cover the tight end.

10. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Am i the only one surprised that JoePa used email?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar