Pat White

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Just throw out the combine and look at his college career, that's all I'm saying.

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Are you saying this because of his forty time? That's how it sounds.

Is it really necessary for me to remind everyone that there are plenty of wide receivers who didn't run fast forties that went on to break cushions and flip DBs' hips every weekend? (ANQUAN BOLDIN) White is an entirely different situation, since he was and still claims to be a quarterback. If he is going to play wide receiver, he has a long way to go. But don't tell me he can't play wide receiver because he only ran a 4.5.

3. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Boldin ran a 4.7. We all know that. That's the cliché argument against bad 40 times.

I take 40 times with a grain of salt, but when a guy like Pat White only runs a 4.55, it's a little alarming. He's small, and he's a guy that would rely on speed if he played WR. He can make up ground on his lack of speed with great routes, but he will obviously have a lot to learn in that category.

Boldin does not rely on his speed. Boldin runs great routes, and bulls through tackles with his size and strength. He's basically a RB split out wide. White isn't going to do any of that. And if you want to bring up Jerry Rice, he relied on phenomenal route running and phenomenal hands, not speed. I don't think White fits that bill either.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I should make it clear too, that I don't think White has a good longterm career as an NFL WR. I think he could be a solid 3 or 4, change of pace, trick play, slash, whatever type of WR. I don't think a team drafts him and expects him to be out there every play as starting wide out.

But in our position, we could use a luxury pick like this. SEE, if the guy could be a BACKUP Qb for the Titans for the longterm. SEE if patwhite can have a role in trick plays for the offense, this season! Whether it's wr, wildcat formation, rb with run/pass option....

5. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Please NO!

Pat White = Kordell Stewart = Randle El = Michael Vick = NFL BUST AT QB. Plus there is no way Dinger is going to run the wildcat.....

Pat White doesn't fit here.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Nah, I'm not really eating him up on his 40 time, more on the fact that it's easier to run the ball and make plays when you are a QB in a spread option, because you have the greatest advantage EVER; you are out in open space against defenseless defenders. The NFL game will be closer around him and he will not even be able to break one tackle at 185 lbs, no thanks. He is a winner, i'll give him that......so were Tommy Frazier and Major Applewhite.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

There might be plenty of WRs who ran sub par 40s but ended up being quality NFL WRs but how does a college QB with a sub par 40 time compete with guys who have played WR all their college career and have faster times?

Bottom line is there are guys who are tremendous athletes who played QB in college who might have a shot at another position in the NFL but if you are a small QB with less than steller speed the odds aren't good. The biggest obstacle in the NFl is teams don't have the time or the roster spot to mess with developing guys. If he can't make an immediate impact like a guy like Drew Bennett did in camp he is likely not going to make it.

8. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

I could definitely see him playing for Miami

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Winner for most stereotypical post of the year... coming from someone named ncaalover...

Pat White's a winner.... How much did he win in college?? Any national championships??? Being a "winner" in college doesn't necessarily translate anyways.

Leinart was a winner. So was Alex Smith. So was Jason White. BFD.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...White doesn't need to run a 4.4 to be a quality WR. Randel-El isn't exactly a bad player...and neither is Hines Ward! In general, small and slow WR's is not a good combo...but we'll see how he does WR drills before killing him only on his 40.

However, it will be interesting to see if Mayock's prediction occurs...meaning some teams that want to run a Wildcat pckage may draft a guy like Pat White to run it. I don't think you should draft a guy like White to only run a gimmick if he can't do much else. If he can play WR and compete as a backup QB...he's got a chance.

I'm dubious however...

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar