Pat Metheny goes off on Kenny G.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Okay I realize this is only going to appeal to a few, but I know of at least two guitar players on here who are probably quite familiar with Pat. It's no big deal that someone is ripping into Kenny G. (pretty easy target), but Metheny is such as soft spoken, understated guy, that it is unusual for him. The fact that Metheny is so matter of fact and logical in his disection of Kenny G. makes it oh so enjoyable. It is a pretty long read, but I think well worth it.

jazzoasis.com

Here's just a small slice

Priceless.

2. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Kenny G was just like... "I'm BAD".... but then Pat was all like... "I don't think so".... and then Kenny was like... "Oh yeah?" and then Pat was all sayin like... "YEAH!!"

As a musician, "game, set, match" for Metheny. And now he rulez Kenny in smack as well. Man... who tinkled in his fruit loops that morning? I mean, yeah, it's all true, but dang.

Can't wait for the G man's retort. Maybe he'll just use this to fuel his artistry and make a bad azz pop/jazz masterpiece in a minor key. That'll teach us.

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

As Metheny said in the article I can't believe more people haven't called out KG for this crap. Just because you can legally do something doesn't mean you should go ahead and do it. Louis Armstrong represents the foundation upon which jazz is built. To let a hack like that **** all over his work can't be allowed to let slide. I've been dying to hear someone say something like this and am thrilled that some as bright as Metheny took the time to say it so well. I think people dismiss it because “it’s just Kenny G.", but if other hacks see that the public and fellow musicians will accept it, you know being they’ll be all over it. I don't want to hear Michael Buble dub vocals over Coltrane's “My Favourite Things” or Celine Dion scat “April in Paris” over Monk. **** that ****.

4. HALL97ROX

HALL97ROX Camp Fodder

I always though Keen G and Pat Metheny were the same guy, you never see them together, they have that same hairstyle....

5. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Rappers make diss tracks and guitar players write articles?

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Okay, on the one hand, he's got a point.
    On the other, Methany recorded "Earth Run", which is about as Kenny G and Micheal Bolton as you can get for jazz guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar