Pass Rushers - OLB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

I wouldn't mind Dupree at 12 if Cooper, White and Parker are all gone. I think he will be a star. Athletic freak and is big enough to play DE if need on even fronts. Just think of a line of Orkapo, Casey, Morgan, and Dupree rushing. Good luck. If we do go Dupree at #12, we have to go DGB or Strong or Perriman at #19. We need another top level WR to help Mett out.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Depends on who's available. But to answer your question more specifically, Orakpo is no certain thing and we have no high end depth at OLB. Dupree has all the physical tools, athleticism and size to become a dominant OLB in the NFL. Ray has the tape and may need more time developing as a complete player (holding up, controlling his gap, read and react and pursuit in run game) but should add pass rush immediately and have the potential to be a star pass rusher. When you don't have a sure thing, you need to invest in one of the most important positions in the NFL.

With that said, a trade down with Cleveland means Mett is our QB and for him to be successful, we NEED a few things. One of those is a dominant WR and preferably a BIG one (he tends to throw into coverage and Whiz seems to work better with at least 1 big wr) so a guy like Parker or DGB would be highly attractive. I see almost no way Parker slides to 19 and a better chance he doesn't make it to #12. DGB could go mid-first to #33. We also NEED a much better OL and since we haven't shown we can coach people up, it's time to add significant talent.

I don't like taking anything but LT in rnd 1 but it's possible we could look to add a dominant OT and a guy like Erving who could challenge anywhere on the OL. upgrading RT and either LG or OC would give us a lot bette run game and give Mett more time and space to throw - something he NEEDS.

Usually we see coaches who have a strength on one side of the ball...say Rex Ryan, try and add a lot of talent to the other side and try to scheme past lesser talent on their 'strong' side. But here, we have an Offensive coach with quite a bit of offensive talent drive it into the ground so I don't have a lot of optimisim in Whiz scheming past this talent level to turn us into a top 10 offense.

It would not shock me if we went something like WR at 12 (Parker for arguments sake), Flowers at 19 for RT, Erving at 33 for OG or OC. Then maybe come back and add a RB in rnd 4 or 5. I think we could get more bang for our buck if we went something like WR Parker at 12, RB Gurley or Gordon at 19, OC/OG Erving at 33 and RT Smith at the top of the 3rd. Best cb or pass rusher or DL or S rest of the way.

3. kenny

kenny Starter

I do not think we can afford to take an edge rusher with the #2 pick. we have options there now. Granted it is not fixed and there is risk that Orakpo gets hurt & Morgan does not get the QB that often, but we have too many holes to fill.

I know people are wanting offense at #2, but I do not think you can go wrong with Williams. I think he will have a Suh-like career, without being such a punk.

The bottom line is: Offense or Defense; this team needs a day 1 play maker at #2, or where ever we pick if we trade back. I really do not care if we go offense or defense as long as the player we take is a difference maker for this team. We HAVE to kill this draft to have any hope for this season. I know several people say there is no hope for this season, but I cannot go into the season that way. We will know what we are by week 8 if not sooner IMO. Until then I have got to have hope!!

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I don't understand the point of your post? First you say we can't afford to take an EDGE rusher but then say it doesn't matter if we take an offensive or defensive player as long as they are a playmaker. Hard to see an EDGE rusher at #2 not be a playmaker though I don't put it it past webster to mess up this pick and or trade. In fact, I more than expect it unfortunately.

A lot of people will see LWilliams not as much of a playmaker and part of the reason to go in another direction. They also see that our offensive was downright terrible and it has only gotten worse since the end of the season. No big #1 WR, no dominant RB, no new starters on OL yet. How is the Offense going to improve?

And btw, Orakpo did almost nothing in pass rush during the 7 games he played before getting hurt so it is not ONLY injury that is a concern when he was on pace for 2-3 sacks for the season. So we not only need him healthy, but max productive. And if he's not or gets hurt, we are back to where we were last year...at square one! So pass rusher is a huge concern.

5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I agree, and it is exactly why I still believe an OLB is in play and early. Morgan is not a true pass rusher, Orakpo has the injury bug, and Lebeau loves some line backers. I honestly think if they decided to go Defense with #2, it will be Fowler or a pass rusher before LW if that was the case. That said, I think they go Offense or trade.

#295 JR1980, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Fowler at 2? Jags would be pissed lol

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. kenny

kenny Starter

1. I think Pass Rusher is a concern, but not as big as the horrible run defense. We could address the run defense with several defensive players. I think we made an attempt to better the pass rush with Orakpo & bringing Morgan back. I said I did not think it was fixed. However, do you keep trying to fix the same broken item or try to fix another broken item??

How can a rookie pass rusher be an impact player when he will not be on the field as much in a position that has 2 - $30 Million dollar players?? Everyone here knows Whis' tendency to play vets before rookies....ala Washington playing before Sankey so much.

2. Thus why I said Offense or Defense......this team needs help everywhere. I personally think a great WR is a must have for this team before we will go anywhere. I doubt they take one in the 1st though, unless they trade back.
    However, I do not see how it got worse. We did not lose a great #1WR, RB, or OL. So while it was bad I still see that it looks much the same. However, I think our defense was bad as well; especially on run defense. We lost some games simply because we could not stop RBs when we absolutely KNEW a run was coming. Secondary was horrible, but there are attempts at fixes in Searcy & Cox. Not that familiar with Cox, but liked what I saw from Searcy.
    No doubt has been for years, but at least this year we have took a step toward trying to fix it. Is it perfect? NO, far from it I would guess, but that's all it would be. A guess.

3. And seasons before that he was dominant. You just do not know & never will until the season starts.

4. Same can be said for a rookie Pass Rusher as well. They bust more than they boom.

***Offense or Defense we need playmakers at all kinds of positions on both sides. That was the point. Although I didn't think it was that vague.

#297 kenny, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  8. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Starter

Shane Ray at 33? :beerbang:

9. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

^ Was going to ask the same thing.. Be very hard to pass on Ray at #33. Early on in the draft process, I thought he might be an option at 2.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm starting to wonder if we can pickup Shane Ray at #33? He's normally projected anywhere from 7-24. However, recent news is his foot injury still isn't recovered & he failed a marijuna test.

If he fell to #33, you have to grab him. Almost would be similar to Akeem Ayers, he was projected around early 20s and fell to our 2nd - but that didn't work to well.

2: Mariota (I'd prefer trade back for a WR, but Mariota seems more likely)
    33: Shane Ray
    3rd: Devin Fuchness
    4th: Mike Davis or Buck Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar