Pass on a day 1 QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

McElroy was in an offense with a good offensive line and weapons everywhere around him. I can't imagine him outside his comfort zone in T-town. He is smart but doesn't have that big of an arm he wins but it's the talent around him and he does put up great stats but any QB can with Ingram, Richardson, Julio, Maze, Dial, and protection from the OL.

2. joeman546

joeman546 Rookie

But the 0-line ended up being crappy this year. Here, he'd be working with Britt(jones), CJ(Ingram) and Nate(Maze/deep threat) and he likes to go to tightends, which we do alot of.

Regardless, something I was thinking abut: what are the odds that we trade a 2 or 3 pick for a backup with potential. There are many teams willing to do that. Id go with Matt Flynn, Kyle Orton(who is surprisingly a pretty decent QB, going by his statistics), Joe Webb(who i like) or some other name im not thinking of.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Again I ask all of you, who is a franchise QB who was drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round in the past 15 years? You got Brees and nobody. The odds just aren't worth the wasted pick.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. VA_Titans

VA_Titans Camp Fodder

I'm down with this idea, reason why? This years draft is loaded with D lineman. I would go after one of them with our 1st or a CB/LB... I'd get a QB in the 3rd or 4th, Ponder is a real idea!

If we can pick up Orton or McNabb I say draft Ponder and let him learn from him....

5. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Then wait until the 5th, 6th or 7th and take a shot at Ricky stanzi or Andy Dalton, or someone like that. It doesn't have to be Devlin in the 3rd or 4th, although I like him. My point was there is not a franchise QB in this draft now that Luck is gone. Why waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on one when there are top notch defensive players going to be available at both picks. Why not build the D, take a late round flier on a QB, and wait for a franchise QB next year. The one QB in the draft that could change my opinion is Jake Locker, but even with a solid Senior Bowl I don't think he could erase enough questions for us to be comfortable using the #8 overall pick on him.

6. joeman546

joeman546 Rookie

Yea, hats an issue. I feel that we should take elite players where we can get them, regardless of position. If we dont need them, they become tradebait, o hey, we get someone who is a little better than the guy on our team, and that guy becomes a hot trade commodity. Then use the trade to aquire a few draft picks or another proven player at a position of need.

But dont go with a high reward high risk pick. For every first round QB that makes it, there is another bust. Unless he is elite of course.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If you want a smart QB that does everything right but nothing spectacular Scott Tolzien is WORLDS better than McElroy.

*and it was Alabama I was thinking of Mallet handing them the game, not Auburn.

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I disagree. I'm hoping we end up with Locker who will be a franchise QB.

9. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Locker is the wild card. He has the ability, but there is not nearly enough tape on him being successful to warrant a #8 overall pick. If he slides to round 2 I could see it, but I just don't see him falling that far. The senior Bowl will be the most important game of his life. If he performs, he will likely go top 10, maybe top 5, if he doesn't then he could very well slide into the 2nd. Mallett is my favorite on the field, but he has too many character questions (Ryan Leaf). Gabbert is overrated, way too much ability to put up the average #s he did in the spread offense (Akili Smith). Newton I want no part of. We need a pocket passer. I like Locker's attitude and toughness. I like his mobility and arm strength. What I do not like is what he showed in 2 games vs Nebraska this year. 127 passing yards on 9/36 attempts combined in 2 games. He also went 7/14 for 64 yards and 2 INTs against Stanford. I know the argument of the talent around him, but those are not #s that a top 10 pick should put up. To be fair he did have very good games against Syracuse, USC and Oregon State, where his offensive talent was more in line with the Ds they were facing, but the total collapses against the 3 best Ds he faced has to be a concern.

Edit: In 2009 he did face LSU and got 25/45 for 321 with 2 TDs and 1 INT...so he has shown he can produce against a tough D with inferior talent around him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar