PAL vs NTSC

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Carpy, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Guys,

Question about PAL and NTSC. I recently bought a Sony Bravia LCD TV that accepts dual voltage (110V-240V), it also mentions in the manual that it broadcasts in PAL and NTSC formats. Yesterday I was told that it still wouldn't work when I move to the US.

Is that true? What do I need my TV to have for me to be able to use it in the US? Also, what should I be looking for in TVs I buy in the US so that they are compatible when I eventually move back to Australia?

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I can't see why it wouldn't work if it broadcasts in both PAL and NTSC.

Unless it has to do with connection (which I doubt) and the dual voltage shouldn't be a problem (I went through this issue when I bought a laptop in the US and brought it back here).

However maybe ask whoever told you it won't work, why it won't work and go from there.

Or i'll baby sit it for you :brow:

3. Carpy

It was a geek from Disck Smith Electronics.

My brochure lists under "colour system" - PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43, NTSC 3.58

The guy at Dick Smith said that it can output NTSC, but wouldn't be able to receive the US signal. I got the impression I could use it for playing back DVDs etc, but not for receiving TV.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

hmm, get a few opinions just to be sure. I got told something about the laptop at one place by a geek, which was completely wrong.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Personally I'd email Sony for verification.

Any TV will support PAL/NTSC formats through a Multi Region/DVD.

In terms of the immediate signal a TV is supporting, that's a whole different ball game.It could be that an entirely different chip set is in each tv for each market so you need to be sure a salesman knows what he's talkng about before you commit to buy.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

pfft email Sony, you might get a response when you eventually get back home.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

okaaay......

Behind door #2 we suggest you don't buy the frikkin tv & rent it instead :suspect:

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Sony are hopeless with responses, as are most big companies.

9. Carpy

Sony responded to me within 48 hours!!!!!

Essentially the in-built TV tuner will not work in the Us, but if I am receiving my signal through a digital set top box or cable/satellite TV unit, then that won't matter as the tuner is in-built into those devices. TV is coming with me!!!!

:banana: :banana:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar