Pacman

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by BigSteve09, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Someone, please tell me... please..

How in the world, would him coming back screw up chemistry???

No one has really explained that, yet people say it... please explain this to me...

But before you do.. remember.. THE PLAYERS LIKE HIM!

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't think we really have conclusive evidence of how the team members feel about him. Elfin says that people like him. Bongo says he divides the locker room. I think it's tough for us to say conclusively that everyone likes him or doesn't. I'm more likely to say that some people like him, and some don't. If someone has a strong argument for either, please make it.

But going from there, I don't think it's hard to explain the distraction. When pacman is on the team, the media focus is pacman. He isn't just another one of the guys. They all get asked about him and his issues every week, they don't get asked about the football issues. More cameras are around, and they're focused on pacman. That's a distraction. If he came back, apologized to the team, and kept his mouth shut, it would help. But for weeks after he came back, the media focus is going to be entirely on him. Right now, the guys are focused on the team. If pacman comes back, the headlines will say "Pacman return leads to titans win" or "Even Pacman can't help Titans overcome ____". Those are the kinds of things that get into peoples' heads, however subconsciously.

So far, in the offseason and these two weeks, the team has shown a lot of focus and togetherness. I don't want to risk messing that up.

3. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Bulluck was on the NFL network over the summer and the guy asked him directly what kind of teammate was Pacman. His response was something to the point that he was an excellent teammate and was never a problem in the locker room. Morever, I have never had any of the other players say anything negative about him. It doesn't mean that don't like him but the point is there is no evidence to support the fact that some people may not like him. I think KVB made a comment about Pac but it was directed towards his off the field actions. On the field he seemed geniunely to not have a problem with him.

just my two cents

4. GoTitans3801

I've heard those comments too. But I think you're much more likely to hear them say those things regardless of how they really feel. Only an idiot tells a media person that they aren't getting along with their teammates.

5. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

T.O.'s teammates didn't have a problem saying that he was a locker room cancer. However, I understand what you are saying. If they didn't like him we would not know. But why do people assume that there are negative feelings? Until I have proof otherwise, they have no problem with him because that is what they are saying. I don't understand why people want to be so negative. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean other people can't like him.

just my two cents

6. GoTitans3801

Well, I guess I feel like I'm making limited assumptions. I assume that some people like him, and some do not. Elf says that a lot of people like him, and I believe that to a degree. But Bongo says that there is another group who does not like him. I choose to believe that this is at least partially true because it makes sense to me. Surely some team members were upset with the things he did. Surely some of them didn't like all of the attention that he received. On a team of 53 people, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that there's probably a group of people who don't like this. Some of the comments of players in the past have implied some disapproval at the least.

Most people may be ok with him, or like him. But a team is about uniformity, and all being on the same page. I think it's a fairly significant possibility that some members of the team will be bothered by his return and the ensuing media circus.

You're certainly making valid points. I just know that pacman has made a lot of people highly opinionated in terms of how they view him, as we've seen in the media, and on this board. The odds are that every member of the team doesn't feel the same way about him.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I've never heard or read an interview where a player said Pac wasn't a good team mate. They have all supported his work ethic and all I have heard have said they would like to have him back contributing.

I also recall, however, many team members VERY frustrated with the apparent "double standard" regarding how Pac was disciplined (or lack thereof) during his first year. Without a doubt that was divisive to the locker room.

Pac had a similar history at WV. It appears he will test what he can get away with and continue to do so until somebody forcefully "reels him in". It may that has happened with the suspension. However, I seriously doubt Titan fans will ever see production out of Pac like we did prior to the suspension- even if he does come back. I am hopeful he returns motivated and contrite, but I have resolved that the "edge" that made him a great KR/PR/CB also ran parallel with the "self-destructive" and defiant rage that caused so much of his off field troubles.

And FTR IMO he (and we as Titans fans) got screwed by Goodell and the league.

8. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

I cannot wait to see how good we can be with Pac back.

Should be an interesting finish to the year...

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Please, someone explain to me how Pacman Jones is one of the BEST cover corners in the NFL. Is it just because of his speed?

In two seasons, Pacman averaged 58 tackles, 2 ints, 9 passes deflected, and a half a touchdown at CB. Last season, he was not normally thrown at because other teams focused the pass game against Hill and Thompson. And, regardless of my skewed average stats, his rookie season was nothing great, his sophomore season was real good, but no one knows if that would've continued this season. Obviously it didn't because he's not allowed to play. Anyone know how many penalties and yards he accounted for in his first two seasons?

Now I will not argue about his return skills. He is one of the best return men in the game. A true game changer at the position.

Nothing fully convinces me that he is one of the "best" cover corners in the game like a lot of people seem to believe.

Would Pacman's individual efforts improve this team, I guess. Would the team as a whole on defense play better, I dont know. Can the Titans win and dominate without Pacman, yes.

In my opinion, the Titans simply don't need Pacman.

I remember back in the preseason, Swing (the colts fan), posted about what would be the best for the Titans... "Set the barn on fire, get rid of the rats." Maybe that's the best post I've read here, and sad to say, from a colts fan.

10. ico4498

ico4498 Guest

by your own accounting he's a "game changer", making this ...
    totally confusing. its ok to say yah don't want him because blah, but which team doesn't need a "game changer"? especially when the HC graded special team's production as less than whats needed.

doesn't compute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar