Pacman to remain suspended.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ryan, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

You're right, Haynesworth is a special player, but The Pats have won 3 Super Bowls with people that made names of themselves after winning them not before. Just look at Brady, if you were to select him because of his physical skills you just wouldn't do it. When he runs it looks like he's falling apart.

2. DJB

DJB Starter

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Agreeing with riverman..

I also feel that these punishments are far too arbitrary. Why should pacman do a solid year when guys with DUI or domestic abuse charges have not missed a damn game? There needs to be an automatic one game suspension for any player arrested for any crime. Later on based on the facts a more significant suspension can be levied and the one game already served would be accounted for.

In 06 randy starks was arrested for bashing his fiance's head against a wall. I would think the nfl would be concerned about powerful 300 lb men beating women but only micheal pittman ever served a significant suspension for domestic abuse. Pittman served 3 games after being charged on 2 counts after ramming his car into a car that had his wife and 2 year old son in it. His 2 year old son in the car! That offense today should warrent 8 games minimum.

Are pacman's accused crimes any worse than what pittman did? I think pac should have been allowed a chance to come back in week 11 and the titans should have welcomed him if that would happen. He had no other incidents during the suspension and his legal problems could still bring about more suspensions but in the meantime i think he deserved a shot.

It is totally stupidass that tank johnson can put on a uniform in this league but pacman can't. :rolleyes:

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Disagreeing with riverman...

I think it is totally asinine for a poster to call other posters bigots just because they disagree on this issue.

1. This is a colorblind board. There is nothing on the screen indicating what race someone is. A person could post here for years and nobody would know he was a black dude or a white dude or something else if he never told anyone. Nendzone was one of the most active posters on this board and many did not know she was a woman.

2. Pacman jones doesn't represent black people. Most black folks don't act like him and it is his behavior we criticise and bash. Riverman in his great superior open mindedness must think that pacman's actions are typically black so bashing them must be black person bashing. shame..

3. This is not the social engineering board. It isn't like we are replacing pac with some white guy. These so called bigots apparently don't have a problem with most other black players so why are they bigots just because they bash this one guy?

Finally could someone tell me what race amano, finnegan and lowry belong to? The human race? Riverman needs to know so he can decide what political side to take if one of those guys gets into any legal problems.

On another board i told riverman his view on this matter was too politically motivated well he proved me right big time.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Bigot: an intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, who refuses to accept different views,especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity.

The term bigot is generally misused today as an in insult,a jibe at a persons character especially in terms of racism.In truth for racists, it fits the role well & rightly so.

It is however merely a verb & can be applied to any individual who stubbornly & blindly has no respect for another's opinion on a matter even in the face of good argument.

When such people deride those with a different opinion & attack the poster because they don't agree with them they are bigots. Anyone who stubbornly closes their mind to reasonable argument because they don't like to have the basis of their own opinion on something questioned are being bigoted.

It's OK to have a different opinion to someone.Most of us have had heated debates with others at some point,many times they can't be resolved & both opinions are valid.

When people repeatedly miss the point of what you are arguing because they are influenced by a preconceived opinion it gets frustrating. Especially if your the kind of person who seeks out the facts in an effort to find the truth. Such people are open to changing their own opinion.

To people who aren't like minded, those kinds of people become irritating & sometimes the result is bigotry by the closed minded. To then correctly use a word such as bigot,be accused of using it incorrectly & accused of making it a racial issue is despairing.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

To summarize what childress just said it was rather bigoted to call others bigots.

Taken literally we are all bigots because we have some strong idea or belief about something and could call those who disagree with us intolerant bigots. The classic bigot was archie bunker from the show "all in the family' who was a racist but also a bigot. He simply thought that anyone different was inferior to him. Despite being a bigot archie was harmless and actually cared about people beneath his rough exterior and when in the show real savage bigotry or racism raised their ugliness archie would take a stand against it.

I kind of see riverman as being like archie bunker. A kind lovable compassionate bigot. :ha:

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

:eh?:

Maybe I just suck at expressing myself. I was referring Riverman & those who share his opinion as the open minded ones. :ha:

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Childress- Thank you for accurately interpreting what I write- rather than permuting to your own agenda as others do. Even posting a definition did not seem to prevent people from mixing racial issues with my use of the term bigots and bigotry. You clearly understand my intent.

Roll Tide- If I am Archie Bunker, then you are my Edith. :ha:

[​IMG]

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

ANd of course you share his opinion on this matter, so of course you consider yourself to be the open minded one. People not agreeing with you does not automatically make them narrow minded. The irony is just spilling over from your above post. Two completely open minded people (if there is such a thing) dont have to always agree.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

This is turning in to a :slap: and getting off thread topic. My complaint is that many posters do not take exception to Goodell's OBVIOUS arbitrary administration of the conduct policy toward Pac AND they justify his doing so with illogical arguments. I believe many posters are either blind to the discrepancies or they either refuse to acknowledge or are unable to recognize them because they have such a strong dislike for who they PERCEIVE Pac to be. Race has NOTHING to do with this issue.

So yes- I believe many members who post about Pac are bigots or exemplify "bigotry" in that they are recalcitrant to understanding that Goodell's administration of the conduct policy has been undeniably inconsistent/arbitrary/discrepant toward Pac. It is much easier for me to tolerate a poster who at least has the insight to say "I don't like Pac. I don't care if the policy was arbitrarily administered or not" rather to attempt to justify the manner in which Goodell has administered it. I know that I can very "open mind-edly" accept that persons opinion.

I think most all of us attempt to maintain and promote mutual respect for each other's opinions which is completely separate from the egocentricty of proclaiming one's self as the "open-minded" one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar