Pacman Appeal Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree. It was the public's PERCEPTION that Pac was associated with the incident and REAL monetary damage the league could suffer that served at the catalyst for Goodell to step in. He clearly abdicated the court of law to the court of public opinion IMO to protect league image and revenue. He gave the public the pound of flesh they wanted- it just happened to be Pac's.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

You need to get over this "protecting the shield" line you always use. It was a phrase used by the commish. Unles you know the details about what exactly constitutes "tarnishing the shield" then you are more or less applying your own standards, and your standards arent what really matter.

So, let me just ask you this. What do you think Vick deserves for these allegations? And if anything, then what does Pac deserve for the Vegas allegations? You cant have one without the other.

And BTW, there was an arrest in regards to Mboro and Ga with Pac. That is even more than we have with Vick at this point.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The NFL is a private league. Even if you dont think the Pac suspension is fair, you cant possibly argue that a business shouldnt look out for their economic interests.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I think the "inequitable" concept stems from this:

"Jones' punishment stemmed from arrests in February for obstruction of police in Georgia and public intoxication and disorderly conduct last August. Goodell also cited Jones for failing to report the February arrest and a March arrest on marijuana possession charges. The marijuana charges were later dismissed."

The obstruction charge has not gone to court yet and the possession charge was dropped. So essentially he was suspended for 1 year for a misdemeanor disorderly conduct and for failing to report those 2 incidents. Either that or he was suspended for 1 year for a pattern of things he was never convicted of... I do think that doesn't seem equitable, especially compared to Tank's also long list of (IMO more serious) offenses. I think the very fact that we're not sure what the reasoning really was is the basis for my concern with Goodell. There just isn't enough clarity.

I've compared the Vick situation also, wondering why Goodell has not at least called him in... flipping off his fans on national TV, the "Ron Mexico" charge, marijuana suspicions. NONE have come to anything as far as the legal system goes, but if all Pac's non-convictions entered into Goodell's decision then it's a fair argument that Vick could be suspended for those. BUT let me say I totally disagree with suspensions based on accusations. Which is why I believe Pac's confirmed violations warrant a reduced suspension similar to Henry and Tank.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Tank I think you have a legitimate beef with. I think he should have been given at least as much as Pac. Vick however, cannot be compared to Pac as of now. IN a few months possibly and maybe even probably, but at this point I see no grounds for suspending Vick.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Believe it or not we agree! I frequently reference he "protecting the shield" line in jest- I am mocking it- for as you state the commissioner is "more or less applying [his] own standards." I am opposed to this line of logic when deciding punishment because it is arbitrary. And I am offended that the commissioner would push this line of BS as a smokescreen to what IMO the real issue is- "protect the money".

It is not difficult to follow standards when in enforcing the conduct policy. IMO- it is actually more respectable and psychologically effective.

I think Vick, Pac and every other NFL player deserve to be punished under the same standards. That's it. I think the tried and true method of due process in court of law is the standard or reference that should be used when players face allegations, suspicions, or hearsay and the league should NOT MOVE until a player has been found guilty. (I've been saying this for months). Vick shouldn't be punished by the league even if charges are brought against him any more than Pac should have been. If either are found guilty, then they should be punished by the league on top of the legal punishment.

Goodell shouldn't have punished Pac for anything other than the failure to report. And IMO, it is undeniably excessive and unprecedented to suspend a player for a year with "stay away" conditions like he did.

APPLY THE SAME STANDARD. It really is that simple.

7. MJTitans

Yea, I'd really like to see suspensions be generally tied to our legal system. I don't think a conviction should be required, but an arrest with no official charge or a charge that is dropped to me says there wasn't even enough evidence to take it to a jury, and the arrest was probably a misunderstanding. Not that Pac is squeaky clean, but I do think he's cleaned up his act considerably in the last year. If any evidence comes about in the Vegas case, though, I'm all for banning him from the league. Vick, while he's no angel, should not be suspended without something substantiated.

8. MJTitans

haha... and it only took almost 300 posts on this? I think we all need to sit down and sing Kumbaya now.:guitar:

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The thing with the marijuana charge on Pac is that he didnt report it to the titans or to the league. It was thrown out and ended up being nothing, but he still did violate a league rule by not reporting an arrest. Not that big a deal, but I think the commissioner is coming from an angle that these things add up. So, I dont necessarily agree it should simpy be tied to the legal system as I think violating league rules should come into play too. However, I would agree that some sort of conviction or legal ramifications should be brought down before the league suspends players based on legal issues.

10. MJTitans

true... and afaik pac's numerous marijuana charges have all been dropped - but I hope no one here believes he's not using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar