Packers Tell Favre He Can Stay... As a Backup

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Brett Favre has been treating the packers wrongly for years. The "will he or won't he" retirement debate was getting stale two years ago. When he said he was retiring, I applauded him for making the tough decision and going out after a good final season. In coming back, he further hurt his team. He's not an innocent party here. I agree that if the Packers could work out a trade to a non-division team it would probably be best. But what would have been best for the packers really would have been for Favre to stay retired, or to not have said he was retiring.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

TJ, you not only beat me to it, but you said it better than I did. Guess that's why you're the head honcho...

3. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

It was mentioned that a strong D/running game can make the Superbowl. And, the 2 examples were the Bears & Ravens of this decade. Those are historic defenses, and each had a very narrow window to win their Superbowl.

4. this is bs...wtf are the Packers doing?

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

spoken like a true Titan fan...

ps- obvious knock on the practices of the Titans F.O. :makefun:

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Agreed. Plus if they release him, he counts against the cap anyway. Very expensive back-up- but I'm betting Rogers goes down at some point this season. He was taken out once or twice before if I remember correctly.

7. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I don't remember that. Maybe in college, but I don't think he has played enough in the NFL to get hurt.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think he broke his foot spelling favre in 05.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

IF you read my post, you would realize that I said it was ok for the packers to trade Farve and get value. But if they do not trade him, and force him to be a backup, he is being held hostage. He is not a backup. Everyone knows that. You know that. The Whole world knows that. Should he be forced to be one? No. And there is no open competition here because the Packers are saying that they have moved on and Rodgers is the starting QB, guaranteed.

You are practically in agreement with me on almost all points. The only difference is I do not think they should force him to be a backup when he has serviced the organization to the degree that he has. The Packers do not have that right. They think they have it. But contracts can be challenged when unfair to the parties who signed them. This qualifies because they are putting Favre in a room and telling him to be quiet, take a pacheck, and go home. Contract broken.

And If Favre had demanded a trade, I would honor that. Many teams do. And they should. There are many ways to go about it. It happens all the time. The NFL is not a prison. Favre has paid his dues, if he wants to be traded or play elsewhere the Packers should respect him as a former player and human being to do that.

I wonder if the Packers can really move on like they said they have. Because it doesn't look like it to me. It looks like they are hanging on hard, and are afraid to compete against Favre. I'm quite sure Rodgers would be game to compete against the Favre, it's management who is chicken. We don't shy away from Peyton Manning, we want to beat him on the field, and the Packers shouldn't be afraid to do the same thing even if he does become a Bear.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

That's not how it works. Favre's fickleness has him passed up. The Packers have every right to keep him. Maybe the Lions should have released Barry Sanders.. :rolleyes: but seriously, the Packers are in a game. A game to win a championship. They have a card in Favre. They have the luxury of having him as an insurance policy or he is theirs to trade to whom they want to. If they want to trade him to Carolina for a lesser pick than Chicago or Minnesota is offering it's their choice. It's logical to send him somewhere where he won't be able to stick it to them twice. If they want to let him compete in camp they can let him. Ultimately, Rogers is the man for the future. They drafted the guy in the first round and got him ready.

Just because I got a new car doesn't mean that I would donate the old one. I could I guess but if it's worth having I might as well see what I can get for it. If the Packers have the money they will pay him. It's their right to carry him on the roster. He's under contract. They will probably shop him until a qb like Derrick Anderson or Jason Campbell goes down. I don't even know if those teams are on their schedule or if it matters but it didn't bother Tennessee when the Ravens fell on their schedule Young's rookie year. I'm pretty sure Baltimore vs. Tennessee was set in stone when McNair got dealt for that fourth rounder. The Packers deserve to garner a draft pick. They deserve to choose from whom.

If I quit my job and muddled around the house for a few months and then went back hat in hand do you think they would put me to work at the same wage? Do you think they would restore my vested benefit just because I had a "change of heart"? No. They would have someone else doing my job and I probably have to work a couple of months to get health insurance because the real world isn't all hugs and kisses and mulligans. The Packers organization had to do what they had to do. Favre is acting like a primadonna above it all prissy boy. He really thinks that he has some hand in this situation when in fact he has no leverage at all.

I expect them to deal him though. I'd wait on a injury before the trade deadline to decide where he ultimately goes. That's what I would do if he was my player and I wanted to trade him for the absolute maximum value. Draft day could get real fun that way for Packer nation.

ps- I stand by my "that's just the way it is" stance with Joe Montana having to carry Steve Young's gatorade around. Montana finally got to Kansas City. I doubt Joe Cool was this indecisive and popping off about it. No. He just stood on the sideline, held a clipboard and watched Steve Young lose the NFC Championship. Brett Favre. Consider yourself officially called out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar