Packers Tell Favre He Can Stay... As a Backup

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

So they have no faith in playing againts a Division rival Qb like Favre?

The goal is to Build a Great team not to keep good players from joining other teams to make your odds of winning better. This move makes the Packers look weak in many way.

2. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

After everything Favre has done for green bay the least they could do is give him what he want.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Bull. If they can afford to keep him they get awesome depth at qb. That contributes to being a great team. Rogers is still a greenhorn in many respects. If Rogers goes cold Favre could save their season or at the very least contribute. I really couldn't disagree more.

Don't you think the Titans would have kept McNair if they could pay him? Unfortunately for us Titan fans McNair's contract was restructured to the point where the Titans had no choice but to deal him. The Packers have wisely not put themselves in that position but drafted Rogers 3 years ago.

Think of all of Favre's back-ups.
    http://www.packers.com/history/fast_facts/favre_backups/
    Don Majkowski 1992
    Ty Detmer* 1992-95
    Mark Brunell* 1993-94
    T.J. Rubley* 1995
    Bob Gagliano 1995
    Doug Pederson* 1995-98, 2001-04
    Jim McMahon 1995-96
    Steve Bono 1997
    Rick Mirer 1998
    Matt Hasselbeck* 1999-2000
    Aaron Brooks 1999
    Danny Wuerffel 2000
    Henry Burris 2001
    Craig Nall* 2002-05, 2007
    J.T. O'Sullivan 2004
    Aaron Rodgers* 2005-07
    Ingle Martin 2006

eleven of those guys went on to start for other teams.

The Packers have a history of depth at qb.
    It's a strength. Not a weakness.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

It is the smart move. Why in the world would they just cut him, when Minnesota and Chicago would be the likely teams to really make a move for him? He made his bed, now he has to lie in it. If he didnt want to retire, he shouldnt have. If he changed his mind, he should have done it a while ago. Basically, the Packers know he isnt going to be their backup. So they are playing their cards right and at least having a say in where he goes, and getting something out of it. The Packers would be out of their minds just to grant him an out right release at this point.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

The packers want Rodgers as their qb, and want Favre to back up right. That is saying that Rodgers gives them the better chance to win, which is not true. So why are they holding onto him, they would just start him.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

They're holding on to him mainly to try to get him to go back to MS. He tried to force their hand to get himself to another team, and they've called him on it. We'll see if he's willing to stick around to hold a clipboard, but this is a better move than the Packers letting him walk for nothing and go play for a division rival.

7. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

As Ali G would say:

"Respect..."

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If Farve isn't going to retire, the Packers deserve to get something in trade for him.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

How this ends up is what is important here.

If Favre gets traded them I am ok with what the Packers have done. It will be a win-win situation for everyone. However, if there plan is to hold him hostage, then I ask you, is this how an employee who has worked for you his whole should be treated. I think if you treat him like dirt now, then it shows what kind of organization you are. Favre never treated the Packers wrongly. He simply changed his mind to put them in an awkward position. That is bad decision making, but he did not intend harm. However, the Packers would be treating Favre as a hostage if they force him to be a backup. The intention would be to harm him. I think if I had an award winning employee, I would respect the way he wants to go out. The Packers could get something out of this, but you really have to step back and ask yourself why, what is the point, and would you do this to an employee you respect yourself. I think the majority of us would not be so cutthroat.

What Favre has to do is sit down face to face with the Packers as man to man. I think if he does that, the business part will break down, and the human beings will come out. And that will settle the whole thing the way it should be settled, amicably. There is no reason everybody can't get what they want out of this.

The Packers also have to remember, if this is a buisness decision, that the NFL wants Brett Favre to play. It makes everyone money.

There has to be an easier way to make this happen than the nonsense that is going on right now. All the players in the situation just need to step back for a second and work this out.

Contracts are made to support human decency. That is what the law is for. When you use it to hold all the cards, and control both parties, you're not using it for what it was intended. You are using only to protect your interests, and not the other party. But that is not the intention. One party should not be held hostage, ethically, and legally. Human rights still come first, and Brett Favre is simply in the pursuit of happiness. It his right to get that.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Help me understand this because I don't see this at all.

Farve retired. Quit. Left the game. Walked away, Etc.

The organization moved on. They made a commitment to a first-round pick who has cost the team a lot of money and has patiently waited for his opportunity. The Packers did what they should have done.

So why do the Packers owe Farve anything? If he decides to "unretire" then the Packers deserve compensation for a trade or he can prove he is the better QB. No way the Packers should guarantee him the starter's job.

Do you think the Packers would have used a first-round pick at QB if Farve wasn't so wishy-washy about his future? He's been teasing the organization for a number of seasons now.

Unless he stays retired, he is under contract with the Packers. If he holds any value, the Packers deserve something for this whether it's keeping Farve on the sideline for depth or trading him for a draft pick.

It would be stupid to simply allow him to walk.

I don't see this as intent to harm but get something in return. They would be incompetent to do otherwise.

To me, Farve was not being realistic with his request. The Packers have done nothing but show respect for the guy throughout his career including all those "I may retire" offseasons which placed the Packers in a bad situation.

How is Farve being "held hostage"? Was he a "hostage" when he kept his organization in the dark? Was he a "hostage" when he was being paid extremely well for some pretty mediocre seasons because he is who he is?

A contract is designed to outline expectations for both parties. Farve signed it knowing the Packers owned his rights until the contract ended or he retired.

Answer this for me. If Farve had not retired and simply demanded a trade, would you feel he is being "held hostage"? Of course not. The Packers have the right to think a contract, which was signed by both parties, would be honored. If they feel another team will give them something of value for Farve, then they can move him as they see fit.

Farve thinks he's above it all to demand to be released. It isn't right and he knows it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar