Owner Bud Adams puts "grossly out coached and outplayed" Titans on notice.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Shanvhere, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I don't see how this helps make your point but OK I'll play along with "attrition-game" for one round."

Wait a minute TJ- you indicated that players are to blame because the coaches told them the Bears would be ball punching and they are to blame rather than the coaches. Obviously Britt chose not protect the ball or the coaches message didn't get through. If Britt chose not to do it, then bench his azz. If it's not Britt's fault or the coaches whose fault is it? Make up your mind. My point remains it is the coaches responsibility to get players to execute or get players out there who will. Munchak and Co. lost the players attention a long time ago. Tolerating miscues certainly isn't going to influence any player to listen in the future.

Harper blew his block? OK, I'll take your word- if he did then he's at fault, especially if he was coached to make sure this high pressure special teams unit doesn't get there.

Now you're being ridiculous or in obvious bait and troll mode.

Why not? The game is already over, what do you have to lose? Show Hasselbeck and especially the younger players on the team that you mean business when you say something.

That's ridiculous. Bench him for sure. Set a tone as the HC rather than just allowing the players to set it.

I do agree you don't fire Munch right now. And I think he made a great step in fixing it the fans with his statement. He's created a bad situation with the players because of his apparent lack of accountability. I think he should start in the coaches room and tell Gray his unit's performance is unacceptable for his DC. He will be replaced if this performance persists. Same for Palmer. You fix the locker room by letting the players know during film review the mistakes that will result in that player being benched. Next game a player has a mental error or fails to execute as planned, their azz gets benched- maybe even deactivated for next game. marquee player? hell yeah- them too. If it means we roll with younger, less talented players- so be it. They'll get their shot at making a big impression for a future contract and the "star" who won' t execute as instructed can fade into the Not For Long sunset without that next big contract.

I'm not pro-Bud. I still don't know why you keep assigning that slant to me. I've stated rather plainly multiple times that I don't believe he will "hand-off" the franchise while he is alive. Chit- you might need to be benched TJ- :p

2. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I'd like to see us all just get along. I feel a lot of love on this board and it gets me a little choked up sometimes. But enough about me, I think we should all write letters of encouragement to the coaches, I mean, EVERYONE is scared and all. Let's not let the sun go down again without helping these poor frightened lambs a bit. Who's with me?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's Britt's fault but it was the first play of the game. With the way the Titans rotate WRs, it likely impacts the production of all other active WRs if you bench one at that point. So do you screw the offense after one play or do you risk playing on in the hopes Britt learned his lesson?

Exactly. His fault. He only made it once but he did make it. Bench him. Not much of a loss unless the team gets into a short-yardage run situation. And there is that issue with a lot of special teams players being hurt which is why he's in there anyway.

The point is the players are the ones out there making mistakes and your solution of just sitting them down isn't always an option.

You put in Rusty? Okay. Again, you want to kill any chance the team has for a comeback on principle? What if Rusty gets hurt? I hear Damien Williams is the emergency QB. But he's now playing a lot more snaps at WR since you benched Britt.

Jamie Harper already screwed up so he's on your bench so, I suppose, that leaves us with Reynaud. Okay, I'm with you here. Let's roll with him.

The point in this is it never is as cut 'n dry as you make it. You blame the coaches when they don't sit someone who makes a mistake that's clearly their fault but you'd be the first to be critical of them if benching a key player led to handcuffing the team.

It's a "Catch 22".

So we get all the players walking on egg shells and yank that rug out as soon as they make any error?

You know we'd not have a soul on the field by halftime, right?

Munch has pulled players. Babs has been sat down in multiple games for whiffing. He makes it back in because the coaches have to put their best players on the field and he's, as sad as it is, the best we have at strong safety. How responsible is any coach who doesn't put their best players on the field? That is incompetence.

He has to pick and choose the player/situation based on a lot of factors. Pulling Britt after one play would be stupid. He may had no choice with Harper as the Titans are short on bodies. Yanking the punter can't happen. Removing Hasselbeck for the #3 is just stupid. CJ? Maybe. He did fumble more than once.

What does what you believe have to do with the fact that the problems with this franchise begins with ownership and that decisions made by the owner impacts EVERYTHING?

Davis had seven head coaches in Oakland in 10 years. If you are critical of Bud's hiring of Munch, why would you think he'd do better picking another coach?

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We remain at odds regarding responsibility and how to set tone for your players. Yes- I'd be willing to bench our best player regardless of the situation if he was insubordinate or failed to execute as instructed. It really is that simple. The players are going to perform to expectation. If a HC doesn't demonstrate he expects them to execute correctly, guess what happens- they don't.

You continue to say it is the players who are responsible for not executing as instructed and then you state Munchak has no option except to tolerate it. Not true at all. The great HC's are skilled at demonstrating to players they are expected to execute and insubordination won't be tolerated in any degree. Don't misunderstand me- I don't think Munchak is weak or incapable of some day being a good HC. He simply wasn't qualified at the hire and he has lost this team. It happened weeks ago when players were complaining about the offensive and defensive schemes. Our fundamentals are chit- coaching. Our player execution is chit- coaching (IMO). Our play-calling WAS chit, has improved slightly. Game-planning mostly chit.

The DC and to a lesser extent the OC's performance has been unacceptable. There was obviously no statements that those performances were unacceptable. The players were frustrated evidenced by their statements. Munchak lost them by not aggressively (and demonstratively) addressing the situation. How could he? With the coaches by putting them on notice- changing schemes or directly supervising the areas of inefficiency. Setting goals for each unit and reviewing them in a group format, etc. With players? By fielding younger players that execute as instructed. Short term sacrifice? yes. Long term benefit- yes. And the players know you mean business. Point is it could have been done. Possible to do it now, but I'm not sure based these reports of the coaches "secretly looking for other work". (which indicts their character and supports the argument they never should have been hired in the first place.)

5. TitanJeff

Then I'd say you feel we don't have any professionals in this organization if it takes threats to make them perform.

Do you think Munch went home last night saying "Oh my, Bud is pissed. I better start coaching now because I've been just coming in, eating my lunch and going home the last year-and-a-half".

"Insubordination"? Do you honestly feel these players are making mistakes on purpose? Wow.

And I'm not saying Munch has no option. I'm saying it's not as easy as immediately sitting down a player for a mistake. A good coach has to weigh his options and assess the situation. There's a lot of gray here and you want a black and white world.

BTW, Harper had a penalty on another special teams play. It was Babs who took off instead of blocking on the blocked punt. He was benched at one point in the game but I don't know for how long.

6. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I love how TitanJeff's argument is that this team is too sucky to put any blame on Munchak, because he's not a miracle worker. Not really though, I hate that argument.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Is anybody else worried that when Bud dies, that there isn't a suffiecient plan in place as to who will take it over and the team will implode and move away? I think about that all the time.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

His grandson is taking over.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

yeah that's already covered. And there is little to no reason to believe the team would move away anytime soon (as in the next few decades). With PSLs games are sellouts and away teams are buying up tickets so I imagine concessions are good as well.

Titans are profitable in Nashville.

10. TitanJeff

I don't know where you begin to come to that conclusion. I've been very critical of the coordinators this season. I am pretty neutral on Munch, actually.

No doubt the team is, overall, very "sucky".

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar