Owner Bud Adams puts "grossly out coached and outplayed" Titans on notice.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Shanvhere, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Anything you want to share with us?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I'M GONNA BE A BRIDE!!!!

lol. nah I was playing guitar for their entertainment, and passing out cards for the wedding DJing and music business I do.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

I mostly agree with your statement. However, a HCs job is also to motivate his players to rise to the occasion and to give their best day in and day out.
    How do you explain a 49ers team under Singletary being absolutely terrible, just to be one of the best teams in the NFL the following year under Harbough?
    A coach needs to be more than a teacher. He needs to be a motivator. Munchak is not a motivator. So much is obvious.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

It is his team and his prerogative to do with it whatever he likes. I don't see him handing it over while he is breathing. It really is his identity. I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening.

It is possible that Belicheck wasn't ready to be a HC during that tenure. It is highly likely that his tenure at a perennial struggling franchise taught him some important lessons on how to become a SB winning HC. Tigers don't change their stripes. My impression of Belicheck is that he is cagey, smart and VERY head-strong. He has been a student his entire tenure and is willing to buck a trend (eg- "good ole boy" network etiquette) to achieve results. Makes many consider him an azz, but it does work for him.

Your situation is remarkably different than being a professional coach. Those students are not employees of the college/school. They are not obligated to earn their pay. You are not their "boss". You can not bench or fire them to take away their immediate livelihood. You can fail them and sometimes you have no other choice- they did it to themselves. So no- you are not responsible for their failure, but you are held accountable for their failing rate.

I can assure you that if you could, and did, have the ability to take away those students immediate livelihood you would get a motivated student.

Munchak has that ability. He can bench, de-activate and/or cut these guys. They are employees. I speculate had he benched a few players who weren't executing what was instructed early in the season, he would have the respect and attention of the team. You don't see guys like Belichek, Tomlin, Coughlin etc tolerating insubordination or failure to execute as instructed. This is one of the most salient reasons IMO that Munchak simply was not ready to be a Head Coach. He is way too soft on our players to gain their respect. And he is way too protective of his staff. The players aren't stupid, they recognized that if he wasn't going to hold his staff's feet to the fire, then he wouldn't hold them accountable either. And he hasn't.

Let's be honest. The players quit listening to Gray (maybe Palmer) a while back. Yes- it is the players fault, but it is the coaches responsibility to put players on the field that are listening. It may mean tough choices- like benching some folks who clearly aren't doing what is coached. But Munchak wasn't willing to do that early in the season when kept stating the team was not going to make any changes.

Again- it isn't all the coach as you've said. It is how the organization is staffed from top to bottom. The Bears during those years weren't in the same low state of competitiveness that we are in right now. We are flat out getting blown away. They Bears have always had their identity. We need to staff this organization to forge an identity comprised of the best of the old Oilers/Titans identity and forget the rest.

10-4. But he was when Amano was extended (I believe) and is presently the CEO of operations
    which oversees the GM. I just haven't ever seen anything impressive from him. His major qualification IMO appears to be his "Oiler-blood".

This franchise has never won a Super Bowl. It should come as no surprise that if you staff your front office with persons who have never won a Super Bowl, they most likely have a limited experience and knowledge of what it takes to field a Super Bowl caliber team.

5. halt

halt Starter

When should pro players become self-motivating, and no longer in neeof cheer-leading and motivation. IMO, $26million contracts should be sufficient motivation.

6. TitanJeff

I agree to an extent but let's review a few things...

We know the coaches talked all week about Bear D tendencies to go for the football. Are you saying they were not motivated by Munch, therefore, didn't care whether or not they fumbled?

Give professional football players a little credit. They understand their future financial situation is directly tied to their performance on the field. External motivation is overrated in the professional world. Professionals are professional BECAUSE they motivate themselves.

I think the Niners had great defensive talent on the roster when Harbaugh got the job but I give him credit for making Smith a better QB (though they're still 28th in pass offense). Teams change coaches all the time with the vast majority not seeing much success until they improve the roster.

7. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

I'm just glad someone up top has noticed, and is pissed. That's the only way changes happen, and let's face it, we need some changes. While I didn't want to lose like that yesterday, sometimes squeaking by masks problems. Some times you need to get embarrassed for changes to be made. I'm glad to have an owner who seems like he wants a championship.

8. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

Great... we are being mentioned on the opening of Rich Gannon and Adam Sheins show on Sirus XM radio...

"Welcome to the show everyone! Today we're gonna discuss the good the bad and the Tennessee Titans" - followed by laughter....

"what an embarrassment, what a disgrace, what an ass kicking"...

they kept going, I had to change to channel...

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Here's a question:

If Munchak is fired after the season, how many here honestly think he would get another NFL head coaching job post-Titans? Anyone?

If your answer is no then that should pretty much tell you all you need to know. Sure he could eventually develop into a good head coach. But the bottom line is at this point in time he's just not ready.

Seems like we're always "waiting" as Titan fans. Waiting for our QB to take that next step. Waiting for our first round picks to live up to their draft spot. Waiting for "maybe next year".

It's getting old and the last thing I want to do is wait around for our head coach to learn how to be a head coach.

• High Five High Five x 5
  10. TitanJeff

The question is whether he bares some responsibility. He does.

Hold up. I thought your entire argument was that coaches are responsible for motivating players. Now you're saying players are self-motivated? I completely agree. Their jobs, their futures, etc. are directly tied to performance. They are PROfessionals.

Let's review:

Robert Johnson is put in over Babs and then removed for poor play. Babs is then benched for playing poorly. Britt complains about not getting enough play after two offensive PIs. Witherspoon is pulled for a rookie. Mouton was benched yesterday. These are just a few of the more obvious examples. Munch has tried combination after combination of players trying to find something which works. He's benching players. He benched CJ last year.

Only Super Bowl winning experience can produce winners? That's a new one.

You think this Bears front office are full of guys from 1984? How are the Texans playing well with a front office of guys who have only one playoff win? How bout dem Falcons?

All of the first time Super Bowl winners rarely had anyone in their front office with Super Bowl winning experience. Our front office had a group who came up a yard short for years. How'd that work out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar