Overtime rule change?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheBisco, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Memo to McNabb, there has been an O.T. rule change.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

I'm thinking the coaching staff should sit down with him and go over everything with him so he doesnt have to have another speech to the media where he says "I didn't know". lol

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I'm not sure this new rule is the perfect answer to the problem, but I do think it is a step in the right direction. This means there won't be any more getting inside the thirty and then kicking a field goal on second down, which has always drove me crazy. This system rewards trying to score a touchdown, which should be the goal of any possession.

4. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

Meh.

True.

But I'm still torn over the change. Statistically the whole 'win coin-flip, move chains, kick FG, ?????, profit!' only happened about 25%-30% of the time according to some articles.

That's a big change for something that occurs 25-30% of the time.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Stats on Overtime Coin Tosses (1974-2003)

The NFL has had 325 overtime games since the rule was adopted in 1974. The results:

* Both teams have had possession 235 times (72.3%).
    * The team that has won the toss has won 169 times (52.0%).
    * The team that has lost the toss has won 141 times (43.4%).
    * 223 games were decided by a field goal (68.6%).
    * 86 games were decided by a TD (26.5%).
    * One game was decided by a safety (0.3%).
    * There have been 15 ties (4.6%).

And I bet the stats favor the team who won the coin toss much more in the last decade with more domes, better turf, longer FG kickers and the many rules which give an offense the advantage.

I don't understand the complexity of this though. Why not play until one team scores four or more points?

6. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

I'd be interested in how many of those FG wins were on the first march by the coin toss team.

Being that the FG win % in OT is WAY skewed the change is prolly for the better; but from what I've read most people are saying the 'first march to FG win' only happens around 30% of the time.

On the rest, I'd have to agree completely. Kickers have come a long way from old-skool. Also have to agree with the 1st team to 4+ pts assessment. Seems alot cleaner that way then the whole 'possession' blah blah crap that has people currently scratching their heads due to on-side kick issues.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Let's be real about this.

The cause, the NFL wanted to increase scoring, so they altered where kickers tee it up. It worked exactly like it was supposed to work. Scoring was up. But there was a catch, uh, OT ended in a FG more often.

The solution, move the tee back to where it was.

Case closed.

8. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Didn't this happen in Tennessee?

9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'm with you.

10. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

regarding the safety loss in OT, yah it did happen in Tennessee. Billy Volek got sacked against the Bears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar