Overtime rule change?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheBisco, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

True dat. True dat. Skr8 up Skr8. It ain't broke like the BCS so it don't need no fixin'.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

No the statistics don't prove it. If you go back and look at the stats for all overtime games since overtime was started in the NFL you have a point because the winner of the coin toss won 52% of the time. However that doesn't tell the whole story. The team winning the toss only loses 44% of the games because some games end in a tie and in 28% of the games one team never got a possession. Also, over the years the offense has been given more and more of an advantage. Since 2000 the team winning the coin toss won 60% of the time (stats up to 2007 so they could be higher).

Maybe the best compromise is to allow wins if a TD is scored first. That would at least make the team that gets into FG position think twice about kicking the FG right away.

3. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

BREAKING NEWS
    The owners approved OT rule modification which ensures loser of coin flip gets one possession if winner of coin flip scores a FG. If a TD is scored; game over.
    Passed 28-4 with only buffalo, baltimore, cinci, and minnesota voting against.
    The majority of coaches were against any modificiations.

4. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I think it would be cool to have a sudden death field goal kickoff. Start at the 30 and back it up 5 yards every time. Full rush and everything.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

They passed the rule change and I think it sucks. Damn you fisher.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

i like the new rule. taking away the FG changes everything.

no more itching away just to get in FG range. now you have to [​IMG]

7. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

What will suck is if we take the colts to OT, and get the ball and we kick a field goal, we would have won the game with the old rules! with the new rules, peyton manning gets a chance to win the game and id radther not give him that chance.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

What's worse is we miss a field goal, and the Colts only drive 40 yards, hit a 40 yarder, and we lose.

That's why an extra quarter would just be better. Whether we make or miss the field goal, the colts can win.

So, is it work risking a 45 yarder against any team? Would you punt just to force them to drive farther for a field goal opportunity? Or do you treat possessions on the opponents side of the ball as 4 down opportunity?

Basically, I would never kick a field goal first now, unless it was chip shot distance and it was 4th and very long.

9. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

I agree completely, I think an extra quarter wether it be a full 15 minutes or shorter would be better for both teams.

10. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Well at least they didn't adopt that crazy NCAA rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar