Our Secondary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by galaril, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

I think the Titans have been experimenting to see if they can still pressure the QB consistently with 4, assuming the answer would be yes. After these two games it should be obvious to them that they cannot. The Texans O-Line is soso but not great and we got almost no pressure on Schaub. I hate to say it but I think our starting DE's are well beyond their prime, and their play the last few years, and actually the entire defense as a whole, was more dependent on Haynesworth than we would like to believe.

Unfortunately we can't change the entire defensive scheme mid-season so hopefully they can find some tweaks that work.

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Why not? Especially if not changing it means not making the playoffs.
    When will all of you learn that if you can't...
    1. learn to make adjustments AND
    2. when to make them
    ...you will NOT succeed.
    Sticking with your gameplan works, but only as long as the situation allows it.

The defense needs an adjustment, whether it be scheming or executing or both; it needs one.

3. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

I think signing Chris Mcalister would be a hell of a move. I completely forgot about him. What do we have to lose?

Btw, with the way we're playing, why is Berry out of the question? Also, look at Javier Arenas. He's a kick :grrr::grrr::grrr: return man a really nice corner.

4. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Because they don't have an entire offseason and training camp to learn it. You don't just go changing your entire defensive scheme betweeen weeks of a regular season.

Adjustments and modifications? That's fine and they do it all the time, or at least they SHOULD. But it's still within the overall scheme.

5. TenACTyrant

TenACTyrant Hey Reynaldo TURN AROUND!

the problem is scheme and our safeties not keeping their responsibilities.

you can't expect a guy like harper to go one on one with AJ. he relied on the safeties to help yesterday but they were off in la-la-land yesterday doing god knows what.

this soft zone is killing us too.

6. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

What's really sad is outside of Griffin's strip of Ward in week 1 our safeties are basically only on camera when they are giving up a play. Hope was nearly invisible last season (outside of that 2 INT game against the Colts) and it's continuing this season. I don't know if he's just not very athletic but you NEVER see hope making a play on the ball, laying the wood on a receiver making a catch. At best he makes the tackle after the receiver makes the catch. I used to think more of him but now I would say he is just a solid starter, certainly not an impact player. Griffin can be an impact player but seems like he like to freelance too much.

7. TenACTyrant

the play when AJ torched our secondary was right in front of me. Harper met him up front then passed him off to MG which wasn't even paying attention to AJ until the ball was in the air.

8. dlew

dlew Jeff Fisher is my homeboy

The problem isn't our secondary it's the lack of pressure from our front 4 DL...Our secondary proved last year what they can do when 3 of them made the pro-bowl. I know it's still early in the season but I think it is clear already that we severly miss that presence of Big Al in the center. Games are won in the trenches and his ability to draw 2+ players every down was the difference for our other guys. Without pressure a decent NFL quarterback should do what Schaub did to us yesterday...especially with an elite receiver like AJ to throw to. We need depth in the secondary no doubt, but what we REALLY need is pressure on the QB which has to be fixed in order for us to make a run...

9. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Ok but a lack of pressure doesn't have anything to do with safeties blowing coverage which has happened several times now in the first 2 games. We aren't talking about Schaub having all day in the pocket and guys just getting open. Receivers were running through our secondary flat out unaccounted for.

As others have also pointed out, Schaub often threw from 3 and 5 step drops yesterday making it hard to get pressure. Our D Line could have done better no doubt but they aren't to blame for wide open receivers. It was different in the PITT game where Ben was basically creating after the designed play had been broken.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TenACTyrant

no offense man but this whole post reads like a giant cliche. this was simply not the case yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar