Our new WRs..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTitanGuy

TheTitanGuy Guest

When the team drafted Chris Davis I did not think Bobby Wade, I thought Derrick Mason. Similar size and speed numbers, good route runner, and he return kicks.

It will be interesting to see what kind of progress the new WR coach with all of the young talent.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I like some of the things I hear about these guys, and of course the highlights look good, but someone's got to be the odd man out. Several, in fact. If Roydell, Gage, and Orr don't watch it, they'll be out of a job. I don't think there's much chance that we straight up cut any of these three, but we're going to have to drop at least one or two to the practice squad.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I appreciate the entusiasm, but a little reality.

I had Williams as a 3-4rnd guy. I'm sure the Titans drafted him production wise more on the previous year's stats than what he did last year. He hasn't been the same player with his family issues (which I hope he can put behind him and I wish him nothing but the best). Having switched from CB...is he a better WR or CB? Some have claimed he's not happy on offense (which CAN'T explain last year's production because he WAS productive as a WR the year before) but I don't buy that. Still, he's far from polished at WR and doesn't have blazing speed though he does have good playing speed and a 38 1/2" vertical on a 6-1 guy is nice. However, he's more of a gamble pick than the other wr's and could end up on the practice squad or moved to CB.

Chris Davis is a player I really like. Again, I thought he'd probably be around in rnd 5 but he's not much of a reach in rnd 4. As one person above said, he reminds me more of Derrick Mason than Bobby Wade. He's a good returner and a bit elusive (but not much in the way of breaking tackles). He's definitely a slot type...but he runs good routes and has very good hands. I expect him to make a run at a roster spot as a returner and as a 3rd or 4th wr.

Filani is perhaps the best 'value' guy for us. Although he went about where I thought, he's a pretty smooth and productive WR. He's big (6'2"), strong and runs good routes. While his timed 40 is not good for his size (4.55), his 10 and 20 are quality times. He's got pretty good hands and should develop. Could be the outside WR to threaten Gage or one of the other incumbents vying for the #2 role. However, if he doesn't start or 3 or 4 on the depth chart, he'll likely end up on the practice squad because of where he was picked.

Considering the likely WR roster looks like this...

Givens
    BJones
    Gage

and then maybe 4 spots for 6 guys...the competition looks like this...

Roydell Williams...had the most production and played in the most games of who's left. Probably battling Orr and Filani as outside WR's.

Roby vs Davis...we could keep both but one should be our top returner.

Right now I expect Roydell and Roby to stay (the wildcard being Paul Williams) while the others fight for 2 spots with the rest either put on the practice squad or cut.

Should be a good battle! Only 'safe' guys are Givens, BJones, and Gage.

Gut

4. Nine

Nine Starter

From today's Tennessean.....

Tennessee receivers coach Fred Graves on the adjustments his new receivers have to make in the Titans' system:

Paul Williams
    "He's not used to running certain routes. We've got a different level of routes. They basically have five or six or eight routes (at Fresno State). We've got like 30, so he's got to learn that."

Joel Filani
    "At Texas Tech, there are certain routes that are spot routes. They run to a spot, the quarterback throws it. They're a four-wide offense. Now he's got to learn to run the technical part of the routes, how to finish routes."

Chris Davis
    "Some of the stuff we're running now, he's already run it. So it's really familiar to it. It's just terminology at this point. The only reason I am saying that is because he's run that type of route in that type of system."

Sounds like Davis could be contributing a lot sooner than we might have expected....

5. GoTitans3801

Well, the learning curve for that kind of thing will pick up with the others pretty quickly by the time camp comes around...

6. seems to me that they like davis the most

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I thought the same thing to myself. Very similar I like this kid a lot. He's shifty and savvy like D-Mase too.

8. mitnibobo

mitnibobo Guest

williams will not be a cb. he was a cb in high school, but he never played a down of it in college. he is a wr, and a solid one at that. i'd say he's also a pretty safe bet to be on the roster this fall (and not on the practice squad, either), because you don't draft a guy in the 3rd round and cut him that year, unless he's got clarett-esque character problems...

9. GoTitans3801

Well, Davis may be more ready at the moment. We'll see who can get there by august.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I would assume almost any rookie WR is going to have to adjust to the NFL. I would also assume most college players don't have as complicated of a play book. The main thing is we didn't draft any guys who were total projects (like Calico who actually contributed his rookie year some) and all these guys are athletic. None of them come off as being total dunces either (like Troupe who has struggled with learning the position).

We also need to not be overly critical this early on. The main thing is if these guys can improve almost daily when camp begins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar